Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

detroit locker install

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mdstmpr, Sep 7, 2002.

1. mdstmpr

mdstmpr Registered Member

Can someone please refer me to someone to install my detroit locker. it's going in a 14 bolt with a 10.5" ring. I live in riverside.There was a guy out here that was going to do it for $75.00 But i can't find him now.I'm not to sure how hard it is to do. Have thought of doing it myself so if anyone as any tips. I called 4wheel parts just to see what the would what? Too much like I firgued $200.00 Plus fluids. What kinda fluids are the best to put back in.

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

3. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

you beet me to it.thats the recent one that i found for the detroit also. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

4. mdstmpr

Thanks that is a good site. Looks Like i do it myself. What do you think is the best oil to put back in?

5. mudhog

no problem /forums/images/icons/smile.gif i use valvoline 80-90w gear oil in mine /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

6. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

i run the exact same stuff in mine.are we long lost twins or something.mudhog what do you run in the engine?i was running quaker state drive hard but now im trying out the high milage valvoline.

7. mudhog

i allways try to run valvoline in everything but will never use pensoile(sp?) i hate that stuff /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

8. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

I just welded the spiders in my 14b....I used the Valvoline Dura-Blend semi synthetic stuff. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

9. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Steve,

If you have a torque wrench, a few sockets, and a little time you can do it yourself.

I was lucky and had a friend "supervise" while I did mine. It was scary at first, but once you see what you have to do, it's really simple. The only thing that's even challenging is spinning those preload adjusters out of the way to pull the centersection out....just count the number of turns and mark everything BEFORE you start spinning them.

When the centersection goes back in....just unspin those adjusters the same number of turns and line up the marks you made. Put the little locking clips back in place and everything will be fine.

It's a cool feeling to do it yourself. You should set aside a few hours (to be safe and non-stressed) and give it a try. We can help you if you get stuck....

/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

10. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

While you have the carrier out make sure you take the magnet out of the bottom of the carrier and clean any metal off of it. It will be your easiest access to it and will keep any of it from getting in the fresh oil.

11. mdstmpr

I finally got around to installing the locker, does anyone have a time machine so I can go back and start over knowing what I now know. I marked everything I needed to. But didn’t figure out what the h#ll the directions where saying “Instead of shims on each side of the carrier, the 14 bolt has large nuts with small holes in the round nut. The nut is scribed with the housing. This is to ensure the lash will be the same when the job is complete. You will have to pay close attention when turning these nuts to note how many turns each nut made. It's also a good idea to not the bearing caps so they won't get mixed up.” I completely understand now what tthey where talking about. I did take some pictures of everything before I took it apart and scribed for both holes on the prong keepers. Basically I need to know if when you guys put in the carrier was there a little play side to side or was it pretty firm. I’m going to open it back up in the morning and compare the holes on the large nuts to my pictures. I must have inhaled too much brake cleaner. Any advice would be appreciated.

12. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Both times I've had a 14 bolt carrier out it was firm when it went back in...no side to side play at all.

Here's another tip...don't drop the carrier on yer toe /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Rene

13. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

If you didn't count the number of turns that you backed off the bearing adjusters, then you'll need to find a dial indicator and a magnetic base to hold it. Then keep adjusting until the backlash between the ring and pinion is within specs. I just looked up the spec for a 1974 14-bolt FF and backlash is listed as being between .005 and .008 inches. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif That's pretty snug! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif