Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

detroit locker into a 14ff

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blublaz57, Mar 25, 2003.

1. blublaz57

blublaz57 1/2 ton status

Just a post to cover all basics,Im going to put a detroit into my 14 ff just wondering if there is any trick or surprises i should know about before I start .I've got the instructions and have seen off road .com site ,just want some info from people that have already done it .Thanks Don

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Just follow the directions and make sure you don't take the wingnut thingy off until it's in there. Torque spec for the ring gear bolts is 120lbs and for the caps it's 135lbs. </font>

3. balzackks84

balzackks84 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I did one on Saturday and it took me 3 hours with a buddy and its the first time either of us had done anything to a diffy besides a cover gasket and fluid. If I were to do it again it would probably be under an hour and a half. Its figgin easy.

4. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Just don't do like me and get the detroit in the carrier, carrier bolted into the housing, pinion depth and back lash checked, and the cover bolted up. Then remember I forgot to take the wingnuts off... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I got to do it all over again /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

5. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i got a question, i installed a detroited 14bff in my suburban about 2 months ago, should i pull the cover and re-torque things? /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif