Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Detroit Locker Noise ?????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bigchief427, May 13, 2004.

1. bigchief427

bigchief427 Registered Member

Hey all just wondering. IS a detroit locker loud. I just finsished putting lockers in my 60 and 14bff. Do they normally bang when they lock when under power? I think i remember reading about that on here somwhere but i'm not sure. i guess i'll just have to live with it.

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Ya, that is probably normal. They can be pretty loud sometimes when the lock up and unlock. Sometimes they will lockup and bang hard enough you thnk the tranny just fell out of the truck.

3. bigchief427

bigchief427 Registered Member

that is exactly what it sounded like scary loud. My buddy was like DUDE YOU JUST BROKE SOMETHING! i said no way i think these things are loud better ask somebody who knows !

4. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

They will make you think you have a shot u-joint every day. I just ues it as a reminder of traction. It is loud, but it is better than stuck.

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

They're rude, crude, and socially unacceptable. Ain't it COOL?!?!?!? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

are detroits, even tho they sound like ya broke something safe for a daily driver?? Im thinkin bout getting one but wanna make sure it's not gonna tear up my daily driver...I can live with it SOUNDING like it is tho, as long as it really ISNT....thats what a loud stereo is for /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

It won't hurt anything. Go ahead and put one in your DD.

Kinda funny, I have lockers in my truck and a rear locker in my DD. The Detroit in my truck I can't hear at all, ever, although I do feel it occassionally. Over all the other noises I can't even hear it.

The lockright in my DD clangs and bangs, clicks every time I step on the clutch, etc.

Just get used to it and ignore it. You'll get some dirty looks sometimes when it's all bound up, it unlocks and re-locks and makes a loud noise. Some old man told me my tires were loose once. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

I just got mine dropped off yesterday for the 14FF, now I have to get it in my truck

9. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Yep, the bang is a normal noise for the detroit. I have had mine bang so loud and hard sometimes that I thought the axle fell out. It wont hurt anything though, especially in the 14ff.
    -Harrison

10. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

HAHA, I was driving by the school one day and it banged so dern loud that it scared the crap out of me and I saw everone around jump, HAHA! It also threw my blazer to the side a little.
    It usually only does it around turns though.

11. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Yeah, that sounds about like my detroit. Mine usually does it right after I come out of a turn, and am just barely giving it gas going in a straight line.....BANG! Only happens like once or twice a month that bad though. The worst part about my detroit I think is backing up. Its nearly impossible for me to back up and turn out of a parking space without the tires going chirp, chirp, chirp...due to my somewhat stiff gas pedal and 4.56 gears. Everyone at school looks at me funny when they hear the deep down chirp of a 37 on some asphalt. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    -Harrison

12. HarryH3

[ QUOTE ]
    The worst part about my detroit I think is backing up.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Oh yeah! My house is on the side of a mountain, and my driveway is slightly sloped sideways. When I back into the drive the slope provides just enough difference from side to side that the BFG's are chirpin' and hoppin' all the way up the drive. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

ya its normal its even worse when you have a manual tranny /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

14. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

Mine is quiet sitting on the shelf /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

15. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

My first driving experience with a D/L was in my 4-spd 1983 K-3500 and I just about piled on myself when I turned a corner at speed and re-applied the gas pedal ! I coasted off the road and fully expected some broken parts under the truck but all it turned out to be was the D/L's teeth locking back together - perfectly normal for a D/L . /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. HarryH3

[ QUOTE ]
    Mine is quiet sitting on the shelf

[/ QUOTE ]
    Just box it up and ship it to me. I'll test it for ya. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif The 14-bolt in my Sub is still open... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

17. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    ya its normal its even worse when you have a manual tranny /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, every time you let off the gas, CLUNK! That does get annoying. Guess because it takes up all that freeplay.

18. mcinfantry

mcinfantry 1/2 ton status

mine is a used 14bolt and used detroit (ala m1008 cucv). BUT i have never, ever heard it. its so quit i didnt think it even worked, till i went offroad.

19. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

Is it really that bad when you back up? I plan on putting one in my 14 bolt but I dont something thats going to be a pita to backup with on my daily driver.

20. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

just remember this:

A detroit IS a selectable locker, but you foot acts as the swith to turn it on and off... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

With mine, if I drive normally the only time I know it is there is when you are on the gas then let of the gas and get back on it, it tends to make the truck want to "side-step". I can drive my truck anywhere I want and not have the tires squeal and chirp. But as soon as you get on the skinny pedal a bit more, you KNOW it is locked...I have NEVER heard the racheting sound that they make when they are freewhelling over the engine. Driving with a detroit DOES take some getting used to but it isn't bad at all and I have a 4spd which accentuates the detroit driving characteristics. Every once in a while (2 to 3 times a month) I get the "Big Bang" as my girlfriend calls it now /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif The first time it happened, I pulled off the side of the road and was looking for scattered parts. This seems to only happen after you have gone slowly and unlocked (read: not a lot of skinny pedal) through a turn and you get AWN the gas as you are staightening out.

Chris