Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Detroit locker problem...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Oct 29, 2002.

i have a detroit locker on my 10.5" 14 bolt, well it had alot of slack in it so i took it to the rear end shop and they said" the detroit was eating away my carrier"
    how would this happen? and what would ahve caused it? the rear end was only 7 months old... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

1. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

As I understnad it Detroits have a lot of play(for lack of a better word). When you put it in park it will roll a good couple of inches before it holds.

I dont see how a detroit could where out the carrier, the thing is massive. I do not trust repair shops in general when it comes to my own truck.

2. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

yep, my gov lock had alot of slop in it, then it cracked in half, i kept hearing about it, thought it would never happen to me, but it did, now i have to find another diff with 3.08's then install it, btw do you know the part number and price for the cross over u-joint for converting a 10 to a 12 bolt?

3. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Detroit and slop. Those two words go hand in hand. Mine and almost everybody I know who has one are sloppy. That is just a normal Detroit. I think the guy that told you it was eating your carrier does not know anything about a Detroit.

4. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

ask blazinaire about that u joint. he did that swap and i am planing on swaping my 10 for a 12 bolt too. i cant remember what he told me but he knows what you need.

5. i know that the detroit has alot of play, but it started getting real bad, thats why i took it in, and this place i took it to specializes in rear ends, and i dont see why they would lie to me because they are fixing it under warrantee, even though the 3 mo warrantee ended.

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I don't recall the exact numbers, but the slop in a Detroit Locker is multiplied by the gear ratio. So somewhere in the neighborhood of 30-35 degrees of slop between drive and coast at the pinion is considered normal with 4.88's. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif