Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Detroit Locker Question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by JEBSR, Aug 4, 2005.

1. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

I JUST SWITCHED TO A 14 BOLTFF WITH 456'S AND DETROIT LOCKER. I HAVE RAN THEM BEFORE AND HAVE ONE IN MY AVALANCHE AND I HEAR IT ENGAGE AND DISENGAGE AT TIMES ON THAT TRUCK. HOWEVER ON MY BLAZER IT IS 4 TIMES AS LOUD AND ACTUALLY CAUSES THE TRUCK TO JUMP WHEN IT DISENGAGES AT TIMES. THIS USUALLY OCCURS WHEN I AM TAKING OFF FROM A DEAD STOP IMMEDIATELY OR WITHOUT 5 FEET. I'M THINKING THAT IT JUST MORE NOTICEABLE BECAUSE I AM RUNNING 38.5" CREEPY CRAWLER AND THEY DOWN SPIN AT ALL WHEN THE LOCKER UNLOADS WHEREAS MY OTHER TRUCK WILL CHIRP THE TIRE AND GO ON. AM I CORRECT OR DO I NEED TO LOOK FOR A PROBLEM? :confused:

2. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Its normal. In mine if you let off the gas you can hear it clunk and unlock, then when you get back on the gas you can feel each tire lock up, kind of swerves just a hair. Just one of those things that you gotta get used to. :D

3. Zeitler

Zeitler Registered Member

I have heard that if you have a manual trans , the detroit will be much louder..

check the oil level in the 14bff

4. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

Could it be that the one on your avalanche is a newer version, and this one is older?

I thought, and I may be wrong, that the newer DL's had a little better road manners, than the older ones. Seems like I read it in the paperwork that came with my D60's DL.

5. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

Ditto ... and I just can't get use to that little swerve, drives me nuts! :dunno:

Eric M.

6. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

That is correct as far as I know . Manual loads and unloads the driveline , where an auto , even with the brakes applied , still has the driveshaft working it more constantly .

7. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

Detroit Locker

Thanks Guys, Was Hoping You Would Say It Was Normal. I Am Like You Though That Little Swerve Is A Little Hard To Get Used To. Anyway Thanks For The Info.

8. highrlr

highrlr 1/2 ton status

9. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The swerve is not bad on icy roads as long as you are used to driving your blazer, I think my Detroit behaves very nicely, drive around a tall samurai with a rear automatic locker for a while and you won't even hardly notice the Detroit in your blazer

10. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

It's not so bad that I would be afraid to drive it in icey conditions either. Will drive mine through the winter.

11. greg mgm

greg mgm 1/2 ton status

My 78 truck has a manual, and Detriot. When it "pops" it sound like someone just rearended the truck, very loud. Its been like that since it was installed, around 12 years ago. No problems on ice. I wouldnt have any other locker. (My wife freaks every time she hears it)

12. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Hmm, this thread is making me have some second thoughts about a detroit. My K25 currently has a Gov Lock posi in it, which I am certain I'll break in the winter. I've got another 14 bolt FF diff with an open carrier in it, heavy duty brakes, and such, and I was planning on just putting a detroit into it. However, this little swerve thing is making me have second thoughts. The roads can get extremely bad up here, break loose even a little bit and you are gonna be in the ditch right now. Will a cheaper Powertrax or something still do that? I'm not gonna be bagging on the truck very much, maybe the occasional mud hole or burnout, so I don't really need a super tough locker like a detroit. The reason I worry about the gov lock is that I regularly spin on one wheel, while the other is on solid pavement, and I am worried that when I launch, I'll break the gov lock with that single wheel spinup.

13. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

SC, you hit it right on the nose for me...A lot of snow and slippery roads do NOT go well with a detroit. It seems the only other option for a 14BFF is an ARB...and you know that means $$$. But, think of it this way: if you use the detroit, and get into an accident in the winter because of it, the extra cost of a selectable locker makes sense. Now I just have to save up....so many things to get, only limited funds. You don't have a nice dana 60 with 4.10 gears for sale (cheap) do you?????? :D

14. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I wish, lol, it wouldn't be for sale anymore though :D

15. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

Detroit

Keep In Mind Guys That This Thing Does This Pop Just As I Let Off The Clutch On Initial Startup Or Within 5 Feet Of A Slow Start. It Doesn't Just Swerve Driving Down The Road On Me. I Drive It In Rain All The Time With No Problem And Will Be Driving In Ice And Snowy Conditions As Well With No Worries
    ;)

16. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Any automatic locker will do it, and will be exagurated by a manual trans.

17. paulmoon

paulmoon 1/2 ton status

18. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

Gotta agree here.

If you're gonna be on icy roads a lot, you'll probably end up regretting the locker. I went from Detroit in the rear and Power Lock in the front to Detroit in the rear and open front and am really considering dumping the Detroit for an ARB. If you go with the locker, take your foot off the gas when ever entering the slightest of turns. You get use to it, but, it isn't as stable as both front and rear diffs. being open. It's all over once the rear tires break loose, you could just spin around and stop or you might end up on the wrong side of the road with a big rig heading your way :doah:

Eric M.