Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Detroit locker question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by pomai, Aug 30, 2003.

1. pomai

pomai 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have a Dana 60 front end with 4.56 gears. I would like to install a locker. The Electra lock or ARB air locker is a little to much $ for me. I would like to install a detroit locker. What are the pros and cons of the detroit locker in the front. Are there any parts on the Dana 60 that would not hold up to handle the detroit? What do you guys think about the Eaton Posi? I will be installing 35 spline outer stubs but am starting with the gears and working my way out. Tires will never go beyound 35". I need to decide which way to go so I can start ordering the parts. Thanks very much Ed

2. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

With the hubs locked and engaged in 4wd(LOC if you have a np203), the detroit will make turning under power very difficult. Having a part time kit in a np203 makes it easier since you can drop into 2wd low and temporarily eliminate the power going to the front shaft but maintain low for crawling. You can always get out and unlock a hub to turn but that can get old quick.

3. pomai

Thanks, I never thought of the difficulty while turning. My blazer is a 88, 208 transfercase, atlas in the future. Thanks again. Ed

4. K5BLT4FUN

K5BLT4FUN 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I am presently running a Detroit Locker in my Dana 60 front with 35 spline inner axles, 30 spline stub axles, and 42's and I have had no real problems. As stated before it will be more difficult to steer while the hubs are locked in, but I have modified my NP205 to a twin stick and when the cornering gets tight I just kick the rear drive into neutral and let the front end just pull me around. If you go to an Atlas T-Case you will be able to do the same thing.

5. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

I would go with the Eaton. It should hold up to your 35's no problem, and you should still be able to steer.

6. pomai

Thanks, I realy need this info. Over here in Hawaii we have a lot of sand. Would the steering still be difficult in the sand with a detroit? Thanks again guys, I realy appreciate the help. Ed

7. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

It wont be as bad as long as it is loose sand, but get on anything solid or even close to it and you will have problems.