Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Detroit locker question.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BLzr4x4ngkid, Feb 5, 2001.

1. BLzr4x4ngkid

BLzr4x4ngkid 1/2 ton status

Ok, since I'm going to be getting a new rear axle, should I sell the Detroit locker or put it up front? If I were to sell it, how much would a month old locker go for? I might just save my money and put it up front, because I'm going to lock both axles anyway.......so?

"Don't hit me with them negative waves so early in the morning." Odd Ball--Kelly's Hereos

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

If you want to be locked up front and rear install it in the front. No brainer, you'll never get what you paid for it if you sell.

Rene

[​IMG]

3. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

You sure you want a locker up front? Its way more aggresive than a limited slip and I've talked to guys with limited slips up front and they don't like them. Said it just made it too hard to steer. Turning radius sucked. If you were going to the TTC thats one thing, but what if you are on an icy paved road and want 4 wheel drive...forget about it with a Detroit up front.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

4. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

If you wheel alot, then I would put it up front...

Although if you use your 4wd alot on the streets in snowy weather a Detroit is not for you....

As with what trusty said, you wont get what you paid for it..

What is it for?? 10 bolt, huh?

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; <A target="_blank" HREF=http://emmett.coloradok5.com>http://emmett.coloradok5.com</A>

5. BLzr4x4ngkid

I do a lot of mudding, but we do have our frequent ice/snow storms here. Plus, no matter what I sell it for, I'm making a profit, because it was already in my truck when I bought it. Oh, Klunky, what's a TTC? Would a Truetrac be a good idea?

"Don't hit me with them negative waves so early in the morning." Odd Ball--Kelly's Hereos

6. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

I would warn against it unless you want to be getting out of the truck and unlocking hubs all day long! It is true about the turning radius, as well as breakage being more common (which usually happens when you are trying to turn the darn thing!) I have an ARB up front, and believe me, turning is near impossible in the snow, especially at slower speeds. I was constantly turning it off and on for turns. With a Detroit up front, you will either have to shift out of 4 WD or get out and unlock the hubs, which will get really old, really quick!!!! ha,ha And the snowy roads and ice will leave you on pins and needles if you try that with lockers front and rear...

And even in the rocks, it is still a bear to turn it...just my two cents...

7. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

TTC stands for Four Wheeler magazines truck contest, "Top Truck Challenge".

8. BLzr4x4ngkid

Doesn't the 10 bolt have a limited slip diff already? So, would it just be easier to re-gear it and not mess with the other stuff? One thing I don't want to do is get out of my truck to make myself turn better, FORGET THAT! hahaha