Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Detroit locker UN-install

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Langosta39, Feb 5, 2003.

1. Langosta39

Langosta39 1/2 ton status

Ok, I'm switching 14 bolts becasue everything is worn out on my current axle, and I've got a chipped ring gear. I read on the Offroad.com chevy site that when installing a new detroit to not take off some nut until the carrier is back together. Does this mean when I disassemble my current carrier to get my detroit out that it is going to explode on me or something? If so where does the nut go to hold it together and does anyone know what size it is?

thanks,
    andy

2. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

The detroit unit is spring loaded. If you disassemble the carrier the detroit will open itself up too and you will have the unfortunante task of putting all the pieces back together the right way. The instruction I have list how to put it together and it's a pain, it looks like.
    Here's what you need to do:
    Remove the carrier from the axle and clean it. Don't remove the ri ng gear bolts yet.
    GO to the hardware store and get a good length of allthread. Get two nuts that will fit the allthread. Also get two big fat fender washers or equivalent. Get them just big enough to fit inside the hole where the axleshafts normally engage the carrier. Be careful not to get them too small as they should just BARELY fit inside the hole. This is important - get the proper washers.
    Now, put a nut and washer on one side and put it in the hole for the axleshafts. THen on the other side put the washer over the allthread rod and then the nut on. Now tighten it. It doesn;t need to be super tight - finger tighten should be fine.
    Now, when you open the carrier by removing the ring gear bolts, the detroit will stay together because the washers are holding it together. Much easier. When you buy a new detroit they come with the washers etc. and you install it by just putting it in the carrier, putting the ring gear bolts on, then removing that long bolt/washers.
    Get it?
    -- Mike

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Thanks, now I know even though I don't have it it's good to know this.

4. Langosta39

Langosta39 1/2 ton status

I thought about the switching carriers thing, but when I take the ring gear off doesn't the carrier just come part? If I'm wrong then please tell me, that would make my job 10X easier if I just had to swap ring gears and stick it back in.
    andy

5. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

The ring gear bolts, in addition to holding the ring gear on, hold the carrier halved in place. If you remove the ring gear (for a gear swap) I am almost positive that there would be no effective way to hold the carrier halves together and not realease tension on the detroit.

You'll need to use the method I described.
    Too bad you don't have the original one as shipped. I kept mine and will use it if I ever need to swap gears again.
    -- Mike