Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

detroit locker?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by berserker, Jun 21, 2006.

1. berserker

berserker 1/2 ton status

why do people not recomend useing one of these in the front axle?

2. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Harder to steer...

That said, I have one and love it

3. berserker

berserker 1/2 ton status

so is that the only reason?
    also if you use a spool in front the wheels wont turn if hubs are unlocked but if locked they will chirp when turning is this right?

4. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

There will be no difference between an open or locked front as long as the hubs are unlocked

5. berserker

berserker 1/2 ton status

but with the locker if the hubs are locked it will not chirp the tires cornering but the spool will right? and thats pretty much the only difference

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

If you have a locker or a spool especially in the front axle with the hubs locked on pavement you are going to have a VERY hard time steering. I drove onto the street onetime on with the truck still in 4x4 and a front locker and it wouldn't turn for crap. I had to kick the tcase out of 4x4 to get the power off the locker so it would unlock.

I have a lockright locker in my front axle (acts the same as a detroit will) and LOVE it for offroad driving. It can make steering harder at times but the extra traction the locker provides offroad well outweighs the extra steering input required at times.

Harley

7. berserker

berserker 1/2 ton status

thanks for helping me clear that up guys

8. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

ive got one in the front of mine. hydro assist helps with the steering

9. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

Because they are afraid they will get too deep into the bush and never find their way out.

Another reason is: It could cause you to make the cover of an off road magazine.. which might be seen by your boss, whom you told you were too sick to work that day.

:thumb:

In all seriousness, like they said, the steering is usualy the reason given.

10. onetonbb74

onetonbb74 1/2 ton status

Locker in the front is fine if your on mud, sand, anything other than dry dirt or asphalt. Otherwise i just lock one hub at a time as needed, lockers are good for that. If you engage the front end with a front locker on the street, it might not turn at all, my truck just wants to stop if i turn the steering wheel, and go straight when i give it gas. Just get one, there good for any type of 4 wheeling and will make your truck go damn near anywhere.

11. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I accidentally left 1 hub locked and when I went on the road... laid into the throttle and the truck actually walked to the opposite side..I pulled over and notice it was still locked... my right hub was locked and the truck lunged to the left.. that is what I mean by walked... :crazy:

12. loafer

loafer 1/2 ton status

I have a No-slip (lockright) up front and it's not too bad on the pavement even with the hubs locked. 2wd of course. I feel a slight pull in the steering wheel but that's it.

I drove the truck in front-wheel drive recently (removed rear drive shaft) on the pavement and it really wasn't bad at all. No problems on the corners, but I was real gentle with the throttle.