Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Detroit locker

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Lotsa_Faith, Aug 23, 2001.

1. Lotsa_Faith

Lotsa_Faith 1/2 ton status

ok question about the detroit everyone has...is it an automatic locker? and if so, is it the one that ratchets? how does it handle on the road? does it wear the tires down very much more than an open diff?

Mike Dee

2. TheGeneral

TheGeneral 1/2 ton status

It is an auto lock, you give throtle, sends torque to locker, locker engages with a clatter. Not bad, and easy to get use to. Well worth the Detroit's prowess. Might need to learn how to use it on ice in corners.

If you ain't hurt, you ain't playin' hard enough.

The General

3. SWAMPRNR

SWAMPRNR 1/2 ton status

I Have Detroits F/R On My 82. It Handles Well On The Street.
    But It Does Take Some Getting Use To In Corners.As For Tire Wear And Noise I Havent Noticed Any Thing Different Between It And A Open Diff.

A Big Hammer Can Fix Anything ..

4. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

Yes it's an auto locker and yes it's the one that ratchets. When I first installed it, I did what the manual told me to do to check it and I heard the ratcheting sound then and only then. It isn't loud enough to hear while your driving. I have only had it bang around a corner once. Felt a little weird but not to bad. What I do notice on every tight turn I make, is that the inner tire will chirp. It's probably just my driving(a little too aggressive[​IMG]) but I chrip the tires every time. So just by that alone I would think that it would wear them out quicker. You'll just have to find a tire shop that rotates them for free(like America's Tires) and take them in every 3000 to 5000 miles. I try to do it with every oil change.

<font color=blue>Esteban</font color=blue>

<font color=red></font color=red>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Estebans-album>Take A Gander At My Truck Here.</a>

5. Lotsa_Faith

Lotsa_Faith 1/2 ton status

so this sounds like a pretty good locker....i really don't have to worry about ice, b/c i live in a suburb of dallas....we have like one day of snow each year if we're lucky. how much do they cost about?

Mike Dee

6. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I just got my Detroit C-Lockers from Randy's Ring &amp; Pinion ( My 85 Jimmy
    Who put a stop payment on my reality check?!?

7. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

I got mine from 4WPW for $299 plus uncle sam's tip.

<font color=blue>Esteban</font color=blue>

<font color=red></font color=red>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Estebans-album>Take A Gander At My Truck Here.</a>

8. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

Just so you know why there was such a large price discrepancy there, most detroits cost in the range of 500 to 550 dollars, except the one for the 14 bolt FF, because it doesn't replace the factory carrier (it's already strong enough) and usually runs something like 300-350.