Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Detroit Locker

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ziagong, Apr 5, 2000.

1. ziagong

ziagong Registered Member

I just got a Ring & Pinion (3.73's) with a Detroit Locker on the ring. The box was left at a mobil station, so the owner gave it to me. box has 2 pinion gears, one is bigger the the other, but they both have 11 teeth. the ring has 41. I have 4.56's in my rear now, how hard is to change the locker to the 4.56's, and is it poss. or should I just try to swap out all the gears and drop to 35's? Has any one done rearend work, and is it very diffacult. I have done everything on a vehicle except trans & gear work.

1972 K5 CST Blazer - 350V8 17x40x15
    Made for Mud!

2. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Well, I am a do it yourself kind of person. HOWEVER, I paid 4wpw to set up my ring and pinion gears. I did not have the specialty tools to set it up right. It has been said they you can do it with just gear pattern grease, and LOTS OF TIME.

For my $$ I would rather have a profesional do it the first time and down the road I will learn on another project.

Depdog

<font color=blue>"Lead, Follow, or BECOME the Trail"</font color=blue>