Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Detroit Lockers and Gear Swaps

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlueKnight, May 4, 2000.

1. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

Who has the best price on a detroit locker for a 12 bolt? The best I have gotten so far was 552.00 I want an EZ locker up front and a detroit locker in back. Also is 900.00 reasonable to do a gear swap and locker install on a Dana 44? going to 4.56's

<font color=purple>79' K-5 396cid 600hp, TH350, NP203</font color=purple>
    http://79blueknight.homepage.com

2. CBLAZER81

CBLAZER81 1/2 ton status

BK,I paid $1400 for mine,True-trac front,Detroit rear with new gears and install kit(bearings and shims).I had to buy new seals etc.(front u joints,rear axle,axle bearings for the rear,+).I'm not sure how much it all totalled up to but if you're talking $900 for front and rear gears and lockers,I'd say you found a pretty good deal.Don't do like I did and assume everything would come with it,Ask for specific details.You know the saying:to assume only makes an A__ of you and me.Well it did of me. LOL.Good Luck Brother.
    Oh yeah,are you planning to install it yourself?The directions are true:Patience,Patience and more Patience.

<font color=red>Wanna'keep wheelin? Get involved!
    Check the "Land Use" section of this board.</font color=red>

3. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

I paid $400.00 for my locker. I called around just about everywhere and National Drivetrain had the best price. Leon Rosser jeep was also pretty cheap.

BIGJ

4. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Well, I went to 4Wheel Parts Wholesalers and got 4.56 gears front and rear, master install kits (thats all new Timken bearings and seals) Rear Detroit for the 12 bolt, and an open carrier for the Dana 44 front, plus they had to take out and re install my front Lock Right. Got all that for 1400 bucks.

If you are doing this yourself, or having somebody you know do it. Use Drivetrain Warehouse (the are 4WPW but dont want you to know) they will give you a lifetime warranty on anything you buy from them. They sell Genuine Gears and they come with a no-nonsense lifetime warranty anyway. The card even states INSTALL IT WRONG and BURN IT UP... WE DONT CARE ITS COVERED!

They will match and beat any price that you can give them to varify. They were selling the Detroit for the rear for llike 520.00 when I had mine done in January.

On the e-z, I would get a Lock Right, the e z's are supposed to be the same, but they are not, lots of them are exploding and trac tech knows about the problems. I got both my front and rear Lock Rights from DriveTrain Direct for 260.00 and that was with a new Power Trax Cross shaft and shipping. Thats each by the way. LOL

Good Luck
    Depdog

<font color=blue>"Lead, Follow, or BECOME the Trail"</font color=blue>

5. BlueKnight

Ok no its only my front im getting all the new work done. Just would like to add a locker in the back. I already have the gears.

A Lock Right heheh nooooo not with 600 ponies. Can you say frag.... Im looking hard at a trak lok right now.

6. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    What is a Lock Right ?
    What is pony ?
    What is a trak lok ?
    Please define your words
    TIA

7. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Trak-Lok? You mean "Trash-Lok" as they are WORTHLESS!!! I MEAN WORTHLESS!!! Sure, they'll work OK for about 5-10,000 miles, but after that, they're act like an open diff. Don't waste your money on a Trash-Lok.

ken

8. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

We'll on the off chance that your not kidding

Lock Right is a locker that makes both wheels on whatever axle its on have power equally.

Pony is Horsepower

Trac Lock is a piece of junk limited slip diff.

Blue Knight, the only reason I mentioned the Lock right is in you original post you said you wanted a e z locker in the front, well the ez locker was copied off the lock right.

Its not as good as the lock right though

Depdog

<font color=blue>"Lead, Follow, or BECOME the Trail"</font color=blue>

9. mudfanatic

mudfanatic 1/2 ton status

Blue Knight, Please don't go with a trash-lock, all I have ever heard is bad about those. I know a guy who has a lock right in his Blazer, he's had it for years and wheels hard, he's never had a problem with it-oh he also runs 35's on a 12 and D44 with a gov-lock in the rear his setup has never let him down.
    '77 K5

<font color=red>mudfanatic</font color=red>[​IMG]

10. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    You guys crack me up with your accuracy(spelling) !
    Please let me in on the Track-Lok for the 12 bolt ?
    Hum ...........
    TGIF

11. BlueKnight

Well it looks like im going to go for a True-Trac for the front. and for the rear a detroit locker. The best price I have gotten for a detroit locker is 523.00 for a 12 bolt. WCd said they would beat anyones price. Anyone seen it for less?