Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Detroit Lockers Questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Big10, Jan 13, 2003.

1. Big10

Big10 Registered Member

Friend of mine said that he has owned trucks with Detroit lockers installed in the front axle. I didnt think Detroits would work in the front because the way they work wouldnt allow it.???whats the deal? I am getting ready to go to a different gear setup and I want to install lockers at the same time...cant afford ARB right now. Are there different types of detroits that may allow a front setup?

/forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

A Detroit in front works exactly like a Detroit in the rear...

Rene

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

A Detroit Locker will function properly in the front. It just makes it pretty tough to turn in 4WD, especially in mud, snow, gravel, etc. The locker tends to stay locked so the front end doesn't go where the tires are turned. It wants to keep pushing straight. On hard surfaces it makes it very hard to turn the steering wheel at slow speeds. A hydraulic ram steering assist, like the one from West Texas Offroad, will solve that problem.

4. Big10

Big10 Registered Member

okay...my next dumb question...Doesnt Detroit make different types of lockers? like EZ Lock, soft lock...Is there one in particular that I would want or has the best reputation? Maybe some that I should stay away from?

5. tRustyK5

There are lots of different lockers available. Where and how you wheel should determine which one you choose. The EZ locker is generally only good for light rigs on 31's so forget that one...

What are you planning on wheeling? Tire size?

rene

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Their most rugged one is the Detroit Locker. There's also a new "soft" version of the Detroit Locker that doesn't make as much noise when it engages. You can check out all their stuff at www.tractech.com /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

7. Big10

Big10 Registered Member

thanks for the response,

I'm running 35 inch M/T's. Wheeling will be mainly mud and "some" hills and "some" sand. No snow. The truck is not a daily driver, but gets about half its miles on pavement.

8. tRustyK5

A limited slip front or Detroit would be perfect...hell you could run whatever you want up front really. The detroit is the stoutest unit available. The limited slip would be more steering friendly though. As you know there are trade-offs with everything...

The best of both worlds is a selectable locker like the ARB, but it is expensive in comparison to most other traction aids.

I'd lean towards an LSD for what you want to do.

Rene

9. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I run a very similar setup as you. I have 35 BFG MTs. Run mostly mud and trails, little rocks, some sand, no snow. I have run a full Detroit locker in front for over a year now. I can feel the impact on my steering when in 4WD. On the road in 2WD or unlocked, there is no difference whatsoever. I usually lock my hubs for offroad, but only shift into 4WD when it is necessary or I know that it soon will be. This helps the turning radius some.

I would recommend either a full locker or a mechanical selectable locker (don't know what axle you are running) over a limited slip. They cost just about the same to install. It would suck to spend the moeny and then be disappointed or later say "I wish I had...". I would not recommend an ARB. That used to be all I ever wanted. After seeing some of the serious problems friends have had with their while off road, I wouldn't invest the money in one.

My .02

10. Big10

Big10 Registered Member

Tx85gmcguy...what gears are you running with your 35's?

I have D44 front and 12B rear.

11. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

he was running 10 bolts front and rear with 4.56's and detroits, they are/were for sale in the for sale forum, he is going 60/14 with 4.56's /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

12. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

With the 60 I think you can get away with a lunchbox locker. I run a Dynotrax locker in my front and it has held up fine for around a year now.

13. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Yep, Jeff is right. 4.56 fr & rr 10bolts. They are sold, but still under the rig for the rest of the month. City gets really pissed if I have it on blocks with no axles for a month! Should be done with the 14bFF/D60 by the end of the month. The D60 will be open, but the 14bFF has a full Detroit again.