Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

detroit noise?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by johnathan, Nov 12, 2005.

1. johnathan

johnathan 1/2 ton status

Does the detroit locker affect the amount of noise from the gears at cruising speeds?My dad and I rebuilt my 14 bolt and theres a faint whining at higher speeds ,not very loud at all.

2. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Mine doesnt whine at all.

3. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

did you remove the gears? if there not properly setup then they wil whine. the only thing you will hear from a detriot is a clicking aorund turns (i cant hear mine but some people can)

4. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Did you change or rotate tires at the same time? Making sure it is the rear end and not a tire that got swapped side to side, if I do that, mine sounds like an airplane for awhile. Other than that, I believe a whine is incorrect backlash, or a pinion bearing.

5. johnathan

johnathan 1/2 ton status

yeah complete rebuild.I was reading somewhere ,I forget,but it said an amount of noise should be deemed acceptible from a ring and pinion.We where very careful in the rebuild ,the wear pattern looked great ,the backlash was to specs,the pinion had right preload.

6. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

A shop installed my new gears, and there was a slight whine. Sound kinda reminded me of a transfercase in low range.

The pinion seal started leaking, so I took in to another shop. The first place had not crushed the crush sleeve properly and tried to use shims to make up for it. That resulted in the pinion nut loosening up.

The sound is gone now.

The problem was actually manufacturing, and then the first shop not knowing any better and not having the right tools. The pinion was slightly too large, so there was no way they were going to get the bearings to seat properly. The second shop had to use the lathe to take a couple thousandths off the pinion, after that everything went in just fine.