Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Detroit NoSpin same as Detroit Locker

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Impex, Jun 11, 2002.

1. Impex

Impex 1/2 ton status

ordered a locker for my 14BFF and i wanted a detroit locker(what i asked for when ordering) but the box that it was packaged in has 3 little check mark boxes

truetrac
    nospin
    detroit locker

and the nospin box was checked, but the locker itself looks just like the one shawn did on ww.offroad.com so is it the same thing? whats the difference?

2. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

I think they perform the same function, but the no-spin designation is for heavier truck axles. They must consider a 14 bolt a truck axle.

3. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I ordered the same and received the same when I did mine.

Tractech’s locking differentials are the NoSPIN® and Detroit Locker® brands (same product, different market segments).
    NoSPIN® / Detroit Locker® : The most rugged positive locking differential, and most widely available for axles from 3,000 to 70,000 lb. capacity. For severe operational conditions.

And most importantly :

Driver may hear and feel "backlash" going from drive-to-coast and coast-to-drive, as reversing torque flow resets the components.

It gets a litle softer as it breaks in... or I'm just getting used to it!

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

From what I've seen, it seems that if it comes with a complete new differential case, then they label it a Detroit Locker. If it's designed so that it drops into an existing differential case, then they label it a NoSpin. Either way, the mechanism works the same. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif The one for my 14-bolt also said it was a NoSpin. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

My full case Detroit for my 12 bolt instruction manual is titled Nospin. The drop in for the exsisting carrier is called a EZ locker. I think Nospin and Detroit Locker are the same thing with two names.

6. Impex

Impex 1/2 ton status

hey guys thanks for the quick replies, i wasn't sure there at first /forums/images/icons/confused.gif well i have today off i better get outside and install this thing, times a wastin /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

7. HarryH3

Isn't the EZ Locker is one of those Lock-Rite sorta things? The NoSpin/Detroit Locker for the 14-bolt FF requires the diff to come out, then come apart. Then you replace all the guts of the diff with the stuff that came in the box. It isn't quite as easy to install as the lunch time lockers. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif But I found the owner's manual from when I bought my locker and it shows pictures of a NoSPIN both with and without a case, so that theory is out the window! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

Aha, I just noticed a small note at the bottom of the cover page: "Detroit Locker is a term applied to NoSPIN differentials by some on-highway users. The "Difference" between the two is in name only. NoSPIN and Detroit Locker are thus referred to synonomously throughout this manual"

Mystery solved. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

8. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

NoSpin and Detroit Locker are two different names for the same thing.

9. HarryH3

Uh yeah, I thought that's what this said: </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Aha, I just noticed a small note at the bottom of the cover page: "Detroit Locker is a term applied to NoSPIN differentials by some on-highway users. The "Difference" between the two is in name only. NoSPIN and Detroit Locker are thus referred to synonomously throughout this manual"

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif