Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Detroit or Arb air lockers?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by velocitiii, Dec 14, 2004.

1. velocitiii

velocitiii Registered Member

Trying to decide between these to types of diffs. When in a downhill situation will the detroit lock and keep both tires rolling the same? using brakes? using engine?

Also I HATE to do "regular maintenance" on stuff like this. I'd rather buy something and just use it. I've read that "if you maintain an ARB properly" it will live a long life. What exactly does that entail?

How long could I expect to run a detroit style locker before needing to replace the paws?

2. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

you don't have to maintain the detroit other than change the diff lube once in a while, which you would already do. as far as longevity, I have a detroit locker in my Eaton axle that just turned 40 years old and its in great shape.

3. rcurrier44

rcurrier44 1/2 ton status

Same thing with an ARB...just change the diff fluid if it gets any dirt past the seals and thats all it needs. Ran a pair for 5 years and never had a problem with them other than burning up the cheep electric ARB compressor.

4. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

I would recommend an ARB up front. That way you can turn it off and steering will be a little easier. I like my ARB because I can leave the front open till I need the locker. It's kind of cool to be able to show someone the difference with an open then locked front end. :xmas:

5. djsblaze

djsblaze 1/2 ton status

I agree. I ran an ARB up front just for convenience sake. If you drive on the street much with your rig, you will appreciate running an open front end. I have had no durability problems, but its only been 2 or so years.

6. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'd have to say ARB too...I've had mine for 3 years...with no problems..
    As far as durablity goes...I'd say there about the same...if you keep your compressor clean and dry. :cool: