Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Detroit steering or not? ((HELP PLEASE)) ........UPDATE..........

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MTBLAZER89, Nov 7, 2003.

1. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Kinda wierd question...Here is my problem. From a dead stop under hard acceleration the right rear of the truck feels like it drops A LOT and the front left comes up (like a drag car launching) also pulls to the right which may be an alignment prob. Part 2 of the problem is while driving 25-55 steady speed everything is ok but when I accelerate it jerks right (steering wheel doesn't move truck just seems to twist to the right) When I completly let off the gas it jerks back to the left /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif It feels as if something is twisting. Here are the things I have tried
    1. Swapping rear shocks
    2. Tightened all U-bolts (nothing was loose)

This problem came about with my 14bff swap then got worse after I entered a mud bog. Can this just be an alignment problem?? Can just one of my rear springs be worn out? They are Superlift 4" Do I have two totally diff problems? Also one more thing I think my ball joints are bad could they be bad enough to cause the steering woes?? I thought maybe this was the detroit steering problem some people talk about, but why would it get wose then?

Any ideas here are greatly appreciated /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Sorry so long if I did't explain well enough ask and I'll try to explain it better /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

Re: Detroit steering or not? ((HELP PLEASE))

Have you checked the body mounts yet? Maybe one or more have gone bad or are missing bolts and are causing your truck to toss like you mentioned. Just a thought.
    -Andrew /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

3. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

My truck had simlar characteristics after i installed the detroit...I have badly worn ball joints as well..that will be taken care of with the D60...I also noticed that my ProComps exhibited more "yaw" than my 37" MTR's...The MTR's are NEW and the Xterrains are wel worn, and NOT evenly...

When I swap in the D60 I am getting an alignment and maybe that will correct some of the issues...

Chris

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

4 speed trucks will do this worse than automatic trucks. I get the "locker induced lane change" between gears as well as any transition on the throttle input. The tighter the steering components and the better the tires the less it'll be a factor...

Rene

5. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

would a broken motor mount do this?

6. MTBLAZER89

Thanks for all the ideas guys. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif How can I check my balljoints to determine if they are bad or not? I am gonna try and rotate my tires today see if that helps. TTT

7. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    4 speed trucks will do this worse than automatic trucks. I get the "locker induced lane change" between gears as well as any transition on the throttle input. The tighter the steering components and the better the tires the less it'll be a factor...

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]
    same here /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. MTBLAZER89

Well I pulled the front end apart today and my pass side locknut's were loose /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I tightened it up , but there still seems to be a slight amount of movement (bad bearing???? they are only like 1000 miles old) Problem went away by about 50% /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif So it's back to where it was before I did the bogs. I guess where it is at now may just be normal Detroit characteristics /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Any other ideas you guys might have toss them out. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif