Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

detroit true trac info / real world driving

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sweetk30, Apr 2, 2007.

1. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

i am looking at a true trac unit for the front end of my 60 build. and was planing on 38-40" tire range. would this be a good unit to run or not as i play in snow and drive on the street.

2. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

When I was shopping for a front LS for my D60 I spoke with Reider Racing about the True-Trac. The True-Trac operates on spider gears, not clutch packs, and Reider's experience has been that with 37" tires and above the gears have a hard time not self-destructing when under serious load. Since I MUD, the True-Trac would be a ticking time bomb, live a gov-lok, so I decided to go with a Power-Lok, the most aggressive limited slip out there. The Power-lok operates on clutch packs and is rebuildable.

Snow is very slippery so I don't know if you experience the same resistance and quick catch that can happen at certain times in the MUD. Being that your going to street it and play in some snow, I'm still going to recommend what Reider did to me. Stay clear of the True-Trac and go with the Power-Lok. JMHO.

Hope this helps and not confuses.

Manny

3. Jimbo*

Jimbo* 1/2 ton status

Manny's hit the nail in the head; I don't know what the D60 is rated, but the D44 and 10 bolt models are NOT recommended for use with tires larger than 33" tall.
    That being said, the Tru-trac probably has the best manners of any front limited slip/locker-save the ARB and Elec-trac. I run a True-trac in the front of my wife's burb.
    You would have a hard time beating a Powerloc for reliability and durability; I run powerlocs in the front of my hunting burbs.
    Jimbo

Last edited: Apr 2, 2007
  4. jk3078

jk3078 1/2 ton status

I also have heard many good things about powr-lok's in a front aplication. I have one, just waiting for the cash so I can pay to have it set up.

5. matneyr

matneyr Registered Member

To play the devil's advocate -- I run a Tru-trac in the front of my suburban with 35 -inch claws and I've never had a problem. That's not to say that I won't blow it up today -- I wish I had talked to reider before I plunked down all that dough for the tru-trac!

6. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I ran a True-Trac in the back axle of my Blazer with 33's and 35's for years with no problems. The truck wasn't exactly babied as I broke two front axle u-joints during this time.

The True-Trac was by far the best limited slip I have ever run, both for street and trail use. I also believe they have revised the design from the old 2 pinion design to a stronger 3 pinion design...but I'm not sure if this is for all applications or not??

7. matneyr

matneyr Registered Member

Mine is relatively new (< one year) and it is a 3 pinion design -- I never know it's there unless I need it.

Note: If you get one tire in the air, you have to modulate the brake pedal to get the gears to engage so that it distributes power to both wheels and not just the one hanging in the air.

Thanks for the reply, 6.2 Blazer.

8. sweetk30

thanks guys. i am going to grab the power lock i found then. instead of the other stuff. :bow:

9. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

10. twoslo4five0

twoslo4five0 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

well i thought i had a true trac in the front of my truck but i guess i gotta a power loc...it has clutches i do know that much and it works real well (i havnt gotten a chance to use it but it used to be in a bog truck that pulled both front tires all the time)...i guess thats just an added bonus...

11. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

i had one in a dana44 and it crapped it pants like an old man in an old folks home. I went to change the diff fluid one day and "lo and behold" pieces of truetrac and gears:eek1: came out too.

Don't waste your money. Buy a selectable locker or leave it open. If money is a problem slowly save up for an ARB/OX/or electrac. You will be WAY happier in the longrun.

12. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

why not just a detroit in the front, if you running hubs that is.

13. sweetk30

14. sweetk30

most of the guys here i have read what thay said and from my needs and there info i chose the power lock unit for the way it works. i like snow and some mud with street driving the truck in the winter.

i have a detroit for the build but now am not going to use it. i am going to sell it in the classifyed section. since i dont want it now.