Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Detroit truetrac vs. Lockright??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by JUNIOR-K5, Mar 8, 2006.

1. JUNIOR-K5

JUNIOR-K5 1/2 ton status

Anybody ever use the detroit truetrac if so is worth it or not.I know alot of you guys know someone or run a lockright and love it.Just trying to find out about the truetrac since detroit makes good lockers.By the way its for a d60.:confused:

2. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I've had both. The Truetrac is my most favorite limited slip differential out there. It was very smooth on the road yet hooked up pretty well in most conditions, plus it never wore out like all of the clutch type limited slips do and start losing it's effectiveness.

With that said, the Truetrac's biggest downfall what that it was a limited slip and not a true locker. I had it in the rear diff and the only modification I did was change from the Truetrac rear to a welded rear diff and it did much better on the trail.

I have also seen several other vehicles on the trail with Truetracs front and/or rear. They seem to work better than most of limited slips, but again they can leave just one tire spinning quite frequently in rougher terrain.

My current front diff has a Lock-right........works just like any other locker and always keeps both front tires spinning.

For a daily driver I would not hesitate to install a Truetrac, for a trail vehicle I would not waste my time.

3. Big89Burban

Big89Burban 1/2 ton status

I just recently put a lockright in my burb. It does good. Mine is used as a daily driver and I like it. Seem like the only time I notice it there is if I'm backing up (sometimes is will click) and when I try to pull out into traffic fast (it will bark the tires some) Other than that I dont even notice its there. I just recently took my burb to the beach and i didnt even have to use 4 wheel drive. I could putt right through places that people were stuck.

4. JUNIOR-K5

JUNIOR-K5 1/2 ton status

Cool mine would only see mud and trails and of course highway I cant afford a true detriot locker.So I guess my second choice is to go with the lockright seems like I wont be disapointed.

5. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I have never personally used a true trac, but there is a big difference between a true trac and a lockright. The true trac isnt a full locker. Its a lsd. IMHO lsd's are pretty much useless on the trail. When you really need them to come through, your left stuck with only one tire spinning. The lockright on the other hand will lock both tires together like a full locker. It wont leave you with one tire spinning. I just put a lockright in the front of my truck 2 weekends ago, and I like it so far. I havent had any real time to test it out yet (that should change saturday), but it seems to work well. I couldnt really hear it while I was in 4wd, but I could definitely tell that both tires were locked. My advice: If your using it as a dd/light wheeling rig then the lsd may be all you need. If your truck is gonna see more hardcore offroad, then you will kick yourself in the but when 1 tire is in the air just spinning away, while the one on the ground aint doing anything with a lsd. I guess you probably need to tell us what kind of wheeling you plan to do with it.
    EDIT- I just saw you said you were gonna do mud and trails and highway. Is this for the front or rear?
    -harrison

6. JUNIOR-K5

JUNIOR-K5 1/2 ton status

This is for the front d60 rear is a 14bolt with detroit.

7. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

sorry to but in here, but, what do you guys think about a lockright front and rear on a DD?:doah:

8. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I dont have any experience with a rear lockright, but judging from my front one, it shouldnt be too bad. I would run it if I didnt already have a detroit in the rear. The front wont matter since it will be in 2wd on the street.
    -harrison

9. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

yeah lockright up front is invisible in 2wd with the hubs unlocked. unless you're fulltime 4x4, its a pretty nice route.

ive got a lockright in my 10b front and i noticed the biggest gain in getting over abrubt obstacles with a single tire.

10. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I prefer Lockrights being on a budget .

You are asking about a real expensive replacement carrier truetrac .

I say if you can afford to spend between 400-500 for a truetrac , you can pony up the extra 100 bucks for a real full blown Detroit Locker itself .

The traction is incredible with a locker .

11. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have lockrights front and rear on my Jeep, and although the rear tends to torque the vehicle between gear changes, I absolutely love it off road. All 4, all the time, when in 4 wheel. Don't even think about running the front axle on road engaged.