Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Detroit TrueTrac

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Swanson52, May 21, 2002.

1. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

Anyone used one? What do you think? I am thinking of throwing one in my front axle...picked one up for cheeeeap. Dana 44 BTW, if that matters. TIA

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I would like one of these for a D60, but unfortunately, they don't make them for D60's at all. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

3. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

I've got one in my front axle and I can't get it out fast enough. I found out right after I put it in that they're only designed to run up to 33" tires and even then they're kind of sketchy. Now that I've got 36's I'm waiting for it to grenade. It's been grinding its self up pretty good lately so I'm gonna throw the open carrier back in and weld the spiders till I can afford a D60.

It's actually a pretty good diff if you have smaller tires or don't do hardcore trails. When I had the 33's I had really good luck with it in mud and on light trails, but when I got all twisted up in rocks I had problems with it. I only tried it in the snow once and after that I had more fun with the rear locker in 2wd drifting around corners /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I have trutracs front and rear in my 10-bolts. I have been pleased with how well they have worked. Last time I went to TSF with OBH, I made it up/over every obstacle that the locked front/rear guys did... including some that peeps with open diffs or other lim slips didn't make it up. Just my experience.

J

5. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

BIG P.O.S.
    i had one in a dana 44 3/4ton and it fell apart and ruined my ring and pinion. I was only running Dunlop Mudrovers 33x12.50 16.5s. They are big enough pieces of crap that Boyce gave me a 500 dollar credit toward a new axle. Furthermore I called TracTec (the makers of Detroit lockers and truecracks and they said that the application was too severe duty?)
    THis is just my opinion but I have experience with the product so I thought I'd relate it.

6. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

Don't like em and wouldn't recommend em.

Although it's a limited slip it seemed to give a little to easy, had to work the brake to keep it hooked up.

Here some pic'c of my busted TrueTrac that I had in my front 10 bolt.

http://www.texasoffroad.net/albums/members/album59/Jam048.jpg
    http://www.texasoffroad.net/albums/members/album59/Jam050.jpg
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.texasoffroad.net/albums/members/album59/Jam051.jpg>http://www.texasoffroad.net/albums/members/album59/Jam051.jpg</a>

The size of my tires had alot to do with the carnage, but I think I should have at least busted an axle u-joint or an axle stub before grenading the truetac.

ric

7. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I am surprised to hear all of the negative comments. I ran a Tru-Trac in the rear 10-bolt with 33" and then 35" tires for several years and never had any problems with it. The last two years it was in the truck was under the 35's and was basically only used for trail riding. I still have the Tru-Trac and was planning on swapping it into my front 10-bolt as soon as I have the time.

Several guys in our club run Tru-Tracs in the front of their Jeeps and seem to like them. The only down fall is that they are not true lockers and lose their effectiveness in extreme situations.....but any limited slip will do that.

Also, I'm not disputing the fact that the other people who have posted have had problems with a Tru-Trac, but remember they are only a few of the thousands and thousands of people that probably have a Tru-Trac.

8. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

ya ive been thinkin about throwin in one of em instead of a locker because im, well how should i put this, um... POOR. but i dun wanna buy a POS or then im just gonna have a 2wd with a transfer case, anyone know of another reliable, CHEAP, locker or limited slip?

9. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

o ya i forgot while we're on the topic of lockers, whats the difference in a detroit gearless locker, quick loc, truetrac, regular an auburn hiPro and pro series? cuz them dang priced are crazy, i prefer gettin a rear locker and front limited slip, unless i come accross a cheap pair of good lockers, thankx,

Brett

10. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

Wow, lots of folks don't like these True-Tracs, I guess.

As a favor to you /forums/images/icons/smile.gif I'l take yours off your hands for you./forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Heck, I'll even pay shipping!

Just trying to help.

11. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

Sounds great! Looks like shipping to your zip code is right at 300 bucks. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

12. Philly87

Philly87 1/2 ton status

I'd never buy one again. Bought one used with 4:10's and I broke the spider gears in it. Detroit warrantied it and sent me another one at no charge. This one is coming apart as well. For some reason the bolts that hold the carrier together keep backing themselves out. I wouldn't do it. Just my opinion.

Philip

13. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

sell it
    trutrac = expensive open dif

thanks whoever coined that

14. GM4wheeling

GM4wheeling 1/2 ton status

I just busted my carrier in my 10 bolt running 36's. I was told that simply putting in another stock carrier will only result in it coming apart again. Putting in a truetrac won't help it hold up better? Oh, and in having my carrier spit open, my pinion has a few little nicks just on the very tips of the teeth. Think that's going to hurt anything?

15. Masiony

Masiony 1/2 ton status

there are two main options. step up to a full detroit, or step off the skinny pedal. BTW, this post has gone almost 4 years without a reply.

16. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

As long as we are talking about front differential usage, I'm throwing my .02 in, too.

I have seen the TT is now available for the D60 front. Not sure if this is the route I would go regardless

I see one of three options to use for the front axle. Number one thing that has me most concerned is the ability to steer the damn truck.
    A DL and ARB both fail this but not the ARB when its not engaged.

I see the only feasible option to use the Powr-Lok, which is a 4 pin spider gear device much like the Trac-Lock which is 2 pin. The PL is that much stronger than the TL and will allow more and better steering capabilities.

17. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

you have 10 bolts?

18. GM4wheeling

GM4wheeling 1/2 ton status

truetrac isn't worth it?

So you're saying that the true trac isn't worth the $450? I don't have the money (so my wife says):rolleyes: to go to a full locker right now. So I shouldn't waste the extra money on the truetrac and should just put in another stock carrier?

19. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

he did, this post is from 2002

20. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

Run a powerlocker. its a limited slip that uses clutches.... much stronger and can be packed VERY tight