Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Detroit worth the $

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by grtwhite, Nov 22, 2002.

1. grtwhite

grtwhite 1/2 ton status

Considering putting a detroit locker or welding up the rear on my 14ff. Its in a 77' 3/4 pickup which for the most part is a daily driver/occasional weekend warrior. Would there be any noticable difference in tire wear between the two? Don't like the fact that the Detroit bangs & pops and sometimes may get you squirley on the road. Either one will make the tires chirp will making a tight turn on pavement, so is the detroit worth the extra $330 ??? Thanks! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

2. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

Yes,its worth it.

From what Iv seen,for what you will spend replacing tires with a welded rear you could just buy a Detroit in the first place and be done with it.With a Detroit,if your easy on the gas through corners it wont chirp the tires. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

HELL yeah it's worth it. The Spool (or Lincoln locked / welded) allows ZERO change of speed between the axles. any time you go around the corner it will squeal the tires. on ice it would be a real handfull. The detroit will unlock in a corner if you ease off the gas. Now you give it gas through a corner and it will act just like a spool. Took me a coule days for getting use to the Detroit in my truck and I don't squeal tires unless I want to now. First couple day's every time I went around a corner I'd get them going woof, woof, woof,. It fun when you see a poser and make it bark so they know your serious /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    It does effect handling. In a long sweeper curve you can actully change the dirrection of the truck with throttle with both set ups. With the Detroit you can ease through the corner and it's not as bad. Detroit also has an occasional deal where if you lift off the throttle and get back in it it will wag the rear end but once your use to it no big deal. Just take it easy with either set up for a few day's.
    The Detroit for a 14 doesn't get any Cheaper. It's about $320 if you look around. Yeah welded is the cost of some rods but it is going to significantly wear the tires if this truck sees a lot street driving. Detroit is still going to cause faster wear than an open or Limited slip but nowhere as much as welded.

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

yes they are worth the extra /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Hell yes! Single best mod I made. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. grtwhite

grtwhite 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Made the decision an easy one. Looks like I'll save up for one in the near future. Thanks!