Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Detroits On The Street?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Texan, Dec 6, 2001.

1. Texan

Texan 1/2 ton status

For y'all running a Detroit locker on the street often, how annoying is it? For someone who can only break away 1 or 2 days a month to do some wheeling is it worth ponying up the bucks for it? I'm fixin' to swap my 14SF in for my puny 10 in the next week or 2 and trying to decide if I should go ahead and put a locker in now since I'm going to do a gear change anyway. User input much appreciated....

Thanks,

<font color=orange>STEVE<font color=orange>[​IMG]
    89 Blazer
    67 Camaro 468
    68 CamaroSS 327
    98 GTP

2. Liberator

Liberator 1/2 ton status

Not annoying enough to pass on one! I noticed a slight pull to the left or right when I'm accelerating but it's not very noticeable. If I take it easy on turns I don't even know it's there. If you have the cash, get a Detroit.

Bo

If it breaks, it wasn't good enough!
    http://coloradok5.com/gallery/liberator

3. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

define: "take it easy on the cornors"
    i have a bunch of clover leaves on the freeway on my way to work...what then??

-zakk

'77 1-Ton K5

[​IMG] CK5's MOAB 2002 OR BUST!! [​IMG]

4. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I got a Detroit in mine and it is my daily driver. It does make some noise engaging and disengaging and on stones pulling out and turning at the same time the inside tire will spin. I have drove in the rain and it is no big deal. You just need to get used to letting it kinda roll through the corners. I am waiting to see how it is in the snow since we have not had any yet. Overall I don't even notice it in there and I am happy with it.[​IMG]

See <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Waynes-Toy>Project Mighty Mouse</a> here.
    <font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>

5. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

cloverleafs wont cause you any grief
    detroit it
    you will forget it is there after a while

6. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

No big deal in the rain?
    I've noticed that before with an open diff. it was nice in the rain... with a detroit locker, you gotta be real light on the gas in a corner or it will lock up and want to pitch the rearend out... It can be fun, I've accelerated and power slided for a ways, but it can also be scarry!
    If you were driving on a cloverleaf onramp, I would say I'd take it about 5 or 10 MPH slower the whole way around it with a locker rather then if I had an open diff... It gives it a different sensation, like your truck is more prone to flippage.
    You gotta get used to it.
    On the freeway if you take your foot off the gas, and then get back on it, the truck will move one way or the other, kind of jerk in that direction and move over a couple inches to where you have to steer into it. Kinda weird.
    Around corners if your gassing it.. chirp. chirp. chirp. chirp. chirp. chirp.
    It's not anoying enough to where you wouldn't want it...
    Try some geardrives!!! been there done that.

7. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Like I said no big deal in the rain. I think tires might play into that somewhat but overall I did not even notice it.

See <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Waynes-Toy>Project Mighty Mouse</a> here.
    <font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>

8. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

I have a Detroit in both the 14 bolts, one in the Suburban and one in the Blazer... no problem on the street. Hammer it around a turn and it will spin. Just dont be an idiot(not that you are or will be) and it is fine. I think the weight of the vehicles help a lot. With a light Jeep, might me a differant story. Blazer I can tell it is there. But, with the Suburban, I can hardly tell it is there. No sign of engaging or disengaging. But, when the snow or mud get deep... it sure is nice to have!!

Ken H.

'86 K5 up and coming
    14 bolt(Detroited),10 bolt,39.5 Boggers rear,
    TSLs front, 468 BBC, 350 trans, 205 transfer
    Rust free in Michigan!

9. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Get it! There is no better solution out there. (I WOULD trade mine for a 14FF ARB if they would make one)

While it does change some driving characteristics of your vehicle you will adapt to the changes. Take it easy at first. Then it can add some fun!

Dave

Horn Broken... Watch For Finger.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Daves-Pics>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Daves-Pics</a>

10. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

You get used to it after about two weeks. Beats a pegleg open rear in the rain...........and I know about driving in rain, I live in Oregon! Seriously, it is easy to get used to for the most part and the tradeoffs are worth it.

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com>www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com</a>

11. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

No scare here either. Daily driver/wheeler, and don't notice much. Only every ONCE in a while, I would hear a really loud bang, to remind me that I have a detroit. Besides that, I don't know it's back there....and even in the rain. Like the others said, coast the turns, etc.
    Boss

Pic of my truck Before N' After
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/BeforeNAfter>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/BeforeNAfter</a>

12. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I have not had any problems, issues, or anything with mine. And I drive a lot on the highway and on highspeed curves. I have only had it chirp twice... once when backing up a driveway (steep and needed throttle) at a sharp turn angle (from an alleyway), other time was turning onto the street from a gas station when I really had to gas it to jump into the traffic.

I mostly only notice it in a couple of situations. On the highway at speed, if I just let of the throttle, I will feel it let go and the rig go to the right a little. I get back on the throttle hard and I feel it grab and move to the left a little. Ease on and off and don't even notice. The other situation is in cornering. If you coast into your cloverleaf and then start to accelerate, you will feel it try to understeer. Let off the gas and you will tend to oversteer. That is because the locker is trying to drive the axle straight. And you are having to fight its tendency. Again, easy on, easy off the throttle and you won't even know it is there.

Best part is, go off road! I guarantee you won't even feel it, but you will be able to go so many places in so many ways that you never thought you could at a snail's pace, rather than trying to bull through and use momentum to get through every rough spot! Hills that were slick and caused you pain in the past will become nothing more than a simple incline!

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!

13. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

You know it's there that's for sure. My truck with it is a wheeler. It sits for weeks at a time. EVERY TIME I get in it I have to get use to it for the first few miles. It did make the steering heavy. You can change the direction of the truck in a turn with the gas peddle so you really have to get in the habbit of "Coasting through turns". I get use to it real quick but you know it's there. I probably notice it more because the Lady's truck is a K5 with a LS and I drive it often enough that I notice the big difference in manners. If you drive it every day it's going to be somthing you are use to all the time.
    Off road it's awsome! Man that truck goes like stink. It brings out the bad person in me. I take bad lines to just see if it can do it. [​IMG] I have caught myself taking a bad line when I knew the guy behind me couldn't pick a line and was watching me to see what way I went hehehe. Half the trails I run I kick it inot 2 low to lighten up the steering and run most of it them 2wd.
    As far as price. The Detroit for a 14 is about the cheapest on the market.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

14. BB454

BB454 1/2 ton status

Have to agree with the other Detroit users on the rear - It can be felt and it does take getting used to. I run Detroits on both the front and the rear axle and taking the rig off the beaten track is a GREAT pleasure. It does however increase the turning circle drasticly. To overcome this I sometimes have to go to 2 wheel drive in order to get around sharp turns. In these situations you realy feel the drive you get from the rear on it's own...even in the worst traction areas.

BB454
    IF IT DOES NOT HAVE 8 PISTONS - IT'S BROKEN !www.4x4africa.com/Community/Members/HennieVermaak/HennieVermaak.htm

15. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

First time I ever took mine out after installing the detroit, I spent almost the whole weekend in 2WD. Only threw it into 4WD when I definitely thought I was going to need it. I am locked front and rear and am really glad I did it. But, with a locked rear, I can go almost anywhere in only 2WD. Probably even places I shouldn't!!

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!

16. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

It brings out the bad person in me. I take bad lines to just see if it can do it.

<hr></blockquote>
    I do that to one of our club members with a TJ (all decked out $$$$) just to piss him off. After I welded my 14 bad lines became entertainment...[​IMG]
    Being welded my tires bark more in tight quarters but I have no lock/unlock spookiness to get used to. I also do not have to coast around a corner because of that...I get very predictable understeer in any situation.

I've only found one particular spot on my drive home where I get any weird handling on wet pavement. There is a right turn I come to to get on the freeway and if it's wet out I get compression lock-up at the beginning of the corner. I think it's a weird spot in the pavement there because it never does it anywhere else...now I slow down a little earlier and apply a little gas through the corner.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

17. RGF

RGF 1/2 ton status

Just want to add that you need to watch your tires air pressure more closely with the Detroit. You need to have both tires on the detroit driven axle the same or it will do some funny things like change a whole lane on the road with just the throttle. Its hard to tell on big tires if ones alittle slack without checking with a pressure gage but the detroit will let you know in a hurry especially in a SWB Blazer!

RGF

18. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

i would trade my detroit for a spool, but nothing else

19. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Drove mine daily for several years in all conditions, including snow and ice and would not do it any different.
    Factors that mattered:
    wheelbase, longer is better
    weight, heavier seems to behave better. If you take the hard top off and run aggressive tires in bad weather, you will notice it more.

It's not the same driving experience, but it's not that much different either. Unfortunately you have to just try it yourself to see, but it's not dangerous and doesn't take constant attention either.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    SW-ORD
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.offroaddesign.com>www.offroaddesign.com</a>