Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Deuce and a half replacement?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 76zimmer, Sep 21, 2006.

1. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I saw a few new military vehicles at a local gas station, where the Guard was refueling, and grabbing some lunch. On of the guys said they were a duece replacement, only 2 axles with single wheels on each, about 38-40 inch tires, and shorter wheelbase than the deuces'. L*** I didn't quite hear it all, but he said they are pretty bouncy. They like em off road. Anybody have any more info on them?

2. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

yeah, the armys cab over thing... is that what you are talking about? they have a bunch of different setups. tandem rear axles, lots of various lengtsh and seating configurations.

its kinda funny, the Corps went to the 7 ton by oshkosh. the army went the the 5.5 ton by whoever makes it... now the army wants the 7 ton.. lol. they are a lot alike, but vastly different at the same time

3. midnitewarya

midnitewarya Sounds like a problem for future me. Premium Member

4. ARAMP1

ARAMP1 Aviator Extraordinaire

I wouldn't mind having that front bumper on my truck.

EDIT: While we're at it, those tires too.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2006
  5. cwn anwyn

cwn anwyn 1/2 ton status Premium Member

LMTV as pictured above. Single axle, replaces the old Duece.

FMTV replaces the 5ton and looks exactly the same with tandem axle in the rear.

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:5EOBRVI9tN-A5M:http://www.hutchinsoninc.com/runflat/images/15.jpg

Same trucks, just up armored.
    http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:l2yL5M61zmsfVM:http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ground/images/fmtv-lsac_armored-cabs.jpg

The only thing I really like about them is the automatic tire controls. Push a button and air down all your tires. Push a different one and they air back up.:D

6. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

I wouldn't mind the tires off the big arse forklift I saw when I was at site 6... those tires were about 6 feet tall. Still never got a photo of that lift :(

7. patt107

patt107 1/2 ton status

Whats funny about the marine 7ton is that it was actually designed with the army in mind, the army decided not to go with that design and bought the stewart stevensons LMTV/FMTV's. The CTIS(central tire inflation system) is great when it works right.lol we have taken trucks off road, hit the sand button to air the tires down and had the truck go all the way to the rims.lol not kool at all by the way. pretty fast trucks too, 70-75MPH with the fully uparmored body on it and towing a trailer. Just so you know im in the army and deployed again:doah: so i get to wheel with these trucks all the time.
    just my 2cents
    pat

8. Inu-Hanyou1776

Inu-Hanyou1776 1/2 ton status

Those things still use the similar axles as the Deuce used? It'd be a shame that Rockwell stopped making Deuce axles only because the Deuce itself is no longer made.

9. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

Wait..... So this means that all the M35A3's are gonna be hitting the auction block as they start to phase them out?!?!

I think it's time I started saving up money. I always wanted an M35....

10. patt107

patt107 1/2 ton status

The first FMTV/LMTV rolled into service in 98 i beleive but most of our old 5 tons and 2.5 tons are going to the Iraqi army so now is definately the time to buy. I am pretty sure the axles are not rockwells, ill have to take some pics of them so you guys can see.
    pat