Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dewalt sucks, and lost me as a customer....

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ChevyCaGal, Jan 29, 2004.

1. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Over on PBB this thread was posted....

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=210068

It's very long, I realize, but if you can get through it all, I think you'll be as disgusted with Dewalt as I am. Page 14 is a good read, and there are a few points on it that'll make you say wtf? They treat people like crap and openly don't care. I don't know about the rest of you, but I refuse to buy their crap anymore. You just might feel the same after seeing all this.... /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I've never bought their crap to begin with, I own nothing but makita and milwaukie /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

ditto....and metabo.

However, my dad, who just upgraded to all metabo power tools gave me his 3/8 dewault drill, screw gun, and sander. Who am I to complain with free tools? I still use the OLD B&D circular saw and jigsaw my father-in-law gave me too! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

4. ChevyCaGal

I have some of their stuff and Black & Decker, who owns Dewalt, but as for new purchases, up in smoke. No more ever again. They really took something simple, and really got out of hand with it if you have the time to read it all (which might take a few days).

5. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

Screw Dewalt!

Here are a few copywrite infringing items
    /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

Sounds like it's time for a few strategic E-Mail Bombs. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

6. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

That is interesting reading. I see their initial point but they handled the situation very poorly and refused to work with that guy. I will not buy from them again.

7. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

That's as rough as that "Big Dog" Fiasco..
    Dewalt should get off there A$$...and go bug the Chinese.. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

8. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

MY Reply:

Damn I've been watching this thread for a while now too and the petiness of it all just amazes me. I will not buy another b$d or dewalt product. I had been considering their chop saw for my new shop and that's not a viable option for me now. The dewalt tools I have now were given to me as handmedowns. In the future, I will take my business to other companies such as Milwaukee, Porter Cable, and Metabo.

On another note, did anyone go to the black and decker homepage? They also list Kwikset and Price Pfister. As a person who is buying a home currently and will be doing some remodeling, this is interesting information. I will not be employing any of b&d's products to either furnish or work on my new home.

9. ChevyCaGal

[ QUOTE ]

They also list Kwikset and Price Pfister.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, and I will be doing some things in my house this summer. Two things were new door locks, and a new sink. Guess I now know who to not buy from on those either.

10. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

Ryobi is the way to go for retail power tools. They have a 3 year Warrantee instead of a 1 year or 6 month like Dewalt, B&D, Sears, and some others. Ryobi are top notch wood working tools too.

Dewalt have been junk for a long time, pretty much in the same catagory as most of the crap that Harbor Freight sells.

John

11. civicstomper

civicstomper 1/2 ton status

You dont like harbour freight? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I must be either different or doing much easier work on the tools, bc I go there all the time. Not great for main tools, but for spares it works ok for me /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
    -pete /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    You dont like harbour freight? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I must be either different or doing much easier work on the tools, bc I go there all the time. Not great for main tools, but for spares it works ok for me /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
    -pete /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. HF isn't exactly high quality stuff. Good for some things you don't use often though.

13. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Ive got some of HF hand tools (Pittsburg brand) and I have no problem with them. Theyre lifetime guaranteed. The power tools on the other hand, I think Ill pass on them.

14. civicstomper

civicstomper 1/2 ton status

same here, 1/2 inch torque wrench for about $15 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    still, I wouldnt trust their chigago electric saw over my sawsall any day. Just save money, and buy everything from Craftsman /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

15. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

well, i'll go against the grain here a little.. as far as the auction stuff, yeah that sucks. alot of big businesses do that crap, and it's wrong.. boycott if you feel the need..

but as far as the tools go, we use Dewalt palm sanders and our right angle cordlesses are the 12v Dewalts. neither is a crap tool. as a matter of fact, their palm sanders dog any made, including Makitas, etc. very cost friendly too. and our right angles have been in serious abuse for years and have never failed. those things get dumped in water in bildges, epoxy dripped on em, run 1000's of screws, etc, and have held up exceptionally well... just wish they made one bigger than 12v.

alot of the detailers i know are using the buffers and like them too... my roommates corded 3/8 drill seems quite good too..

as far as i know they are a step above any regular B&D tool. ya know, put a new name out to get away from your rep kinda situation.. sure some tools you'd be better with a Milwaukee or something (can't kill my 15 yr old Milwaukee sawzall!), but on a whole, Dewalt stuff IS NOT crap as far as i've seen...... can't say for their other tools, chopsaws, etc....

16. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I agree that pulling the add is lame and can clearly see that the drill was not manufactured by DeWalt. On The other hand I think they make a pretty good product. All one need to do is to go to any construction site and see how many people use their product. I never had any problems with any of My Dewalt tools.

17. ChevyCaGal

[ QUOTE ]
    I never had any problems with any of My Dewalt tools.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not the point really. They treated him like crap, and continued to do so.... they handled this badly, very badly. I refuse to support a company that I openly know treats customers like that. They might be the best tools ever, but if they make it a practice to carry on like this, then it will make no difference to many people who they will have turned off. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

18. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I refuse to support a company that I openly know treats customers like that.

[/ QUOTE ]
    First off The guy is not a customer. He was trying to sell an imitator. Look though all those warehouse catalogs like Harbor Freight and they are full of Dewalt look a likes that are ment to look like the real thing but are peices of crap that give the company a bad name just because they look the same.

19. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    First off The guy is not a customer. He was trying to sell an imitator. Look though all those warehouse catalogs like Harbor Freight and they are full of Dewalt look a likes that are ment to look like the real thing but are peices of crap that give the company a bad name just because they look the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

Few good tool customers are that stupid to fall for some crap like that.

20. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Few good tool customers are that stupid to fall for some crap like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed..

I have never bought Dewalt stuff. I knew it was just rebadged B&D stuff. I am a Porter Cable (for saws), Delta( for big woodworking stuff, and Makita (for cordless drills, etc.) guy.

John