Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

DexCool?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by getsome, Jun 8, 2000.

1. getsome

getsome 1/2 ton status

Thought that I was doing something smart the other day and changed my Jimmy over to Dexcool so that I didn't have antifreeze in one car Dexcool in the(now ex) girlfriends car. I got kicked to the curb yesterday but I wanted to know if anyone has tried this stuff. They claim -86 with a 66% Dexcool and 34% water.

Getsome

2. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    I'm not too sure about the mixture, but its reported to be good for 5 years and better for either alum. or copper radiator cores.

Damn pricey tho.

Corey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=red>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties
    http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez

3. getsome

getsome 1/2 ton status

I picked up two gallons on Monday for $16. The generic antifreeze was 5.50 a gallon. I'm still leery about being on the road or trail and finding out that I'm the only person running this stuff. Same for synthetic oil.

Getsome

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Don't know much about DexCool, but you can mix synthetic oil with standard motor oil without a problem. I've been running Mobil 1 in all my rigs for the last 10 years and have been quite happy with the results.

As for the antifreeze, don't put in more than you need for the weather you expect in your area. Most of the US doesn't have a need for protection to -86 degrees. Since water has much better thermal conduction characteristics than anit-freeze, you can actually cause overheating problems by using too much antifreeze. You need the water in there to help conduct heat out of the engine and to the radiator fins.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <font color=blue>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</font color=blue>

5. Dave

Dave Registered Member

FLUSH IT OUT RIGHT AWAY!!!!!!!!! I work in a dealership (don't kringe) and see it in cars every day. If it's not cleaned regularly (run through a flush machine that strains it and pumps it back in), it turns into a black sludge. It can, AND WILL clog your radiator, hoses, heater core, and even engine block. I have seen several S-trucks (Sonoma, S-10, Baby Blazer, Jimmy, Bravada) with serious problems with the coolant. Stick to the green stuff....it won't steer you wrong.

Dave Hiller
    90 K-5
    "The Anti-SUV"