Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

DFW Area People..

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MrArmyAnt, Nov 6, 2005.

1. MrArmyAnt

MrArmyAnt 1/2 ton status

Texas, Kick a$$! (Grapevine, DFW; also Norman, OK)
    Many private airplane hangars for lease around here, a 45 ft by 50 ft building is 600 a month to lease, quite a few of us could fit in there to store/work on projects. Anyone interested?

2. GRAYTEXK5

GRAYTEXK5 1/2 ton status

what part of D/FW are they in?

3. MrArmyAnt

MrArmyAnt 1/2 ton status

I was thinking of the small airport out pas haslett, not aliance, a little further. really I'm still looking, but it would most likely be west of grapevine, so its a little closer to marshall creek, the testing ground. there are tons of little airports out there, its just finding the little things. So if you are really in fort worth, due north.

4. fasthumpman

fasthumpman Registered Member

fort worth here me and couple of buddies would be interested

my email is fasthumpman@yahoo.com

we actually live in benbrook if youve heard of it but its basically fort worth

5. Topher

Topher Registered Member

Hi guys. I would like to get in on this, too, if possible. The timing couldn't be better. I've got an '85 that I desperately need to swap stuff out of, and into my '91. I've been meaning to do this for a while, but there's five vehicles that need to share the driveway/garage, so location is an issue. The hangar idea sounds fantastic.

I'm here in the Roanoke/Trophy Club area (76262), which is east of Haslet, Alliance, the raceway, etc., and next door to Marshall Creek (south of it). I have a buddy who might be interested, too. He lives in Arlington and has an S-10 Blazer, but since he's in an apartment, he too has the problem of not having a place to wrench. In fact, when I mentioned this thread to him, he said that there's a field named Aero Valley or something out there. Is that the one you're talking about, MrArmyAnt?

I know there's a small field somewhere NW of me; Roanoke Regional or some such. I've been there twice some years ago, for a couple of exploration flights in a Cessna. But at the time I didn't have a need to research hangar space, so I couldn't tell you what they offer, if anything.

Anyway, please lemme know how this idea pans out. Thanks...

6. MrArmyAnt

MrArmyAnt 1/2 ton status

Lets throw together some names of hangars and try to research. We need to find a tollerable one, the one I am thinking of is about 30 mins from marshall creek. I didn't know so many would be interested. All those who are interested email me at MrArmyAnt@gmail.net I'll start driving around and seeing where some of these are, they are all over the place, just tucked away by brush most of the time in a field in nowhereville. So far it sounds like we have me, topher, topher's friend, fasthumpman, fasthumpman bud 1, fasthumpman bud 2, and maybe ftwk5. the 45x50 may be a bit small for this many, and I have a friend who also may be interested, 2 actually. So that's a total of 8, plus we need room for elbows and tools. Also need to see if any will let carcasses of cars rest outside or under a tarp. Also some require part of an airplane in there, wether it be for restoration or sake of it looking like an airport. Start posting names and finding numbers, I'll do the same.

7. GRAYTEXK5

GRAYTEXK5 1/2 ton status

I might be interested in going in on it, depending on how many people we get, cost, location, etc. I'm in crowley, just south of ft. worth. it seems like I remember seeing some places like this out in saginaw somewhere, if any of you know where that is...but, I can't remember where, so...I don't know if that helps much. :doah:

8. poinzey

poinzey 1/2 ton status

Hey guys, there's a small field south of fort worth there called Spinks. I used to work there ages ago. If they still have the old side running you should be able to get space there dirt cheap if they're not full.

9. MrArmyAnt

MrArmyAnt 1/2 ton status

South of fort worth? how far from grapevine? grapevine seems to be pretty central between dallas and ft worth. any numbers? would they mind automobiles?

10. poinzey

poinzey 1/2 ton status

I dont remember exactly how far, maybe 10 miles, the name on the maps and charts may still be Oak Gove Airport. It probably depends on whose running it now as to what you could do, they used to not mind cars out there. Lemme see if I can find yall a number or something. When I was there it was run by Staci's Jet Center.

11. MrArmyAnt

MrArmyAnt 1/2 ton status

10 Miles? Wow. Thats about as central as it can get! Thanks!

12. ntx78k5

ntx78k5 1/2 ton status

There is also an Airport in Arlington off of Collins and 20. Always see empty hangers no idea about vehicle access. If you guys are really thinking about this look at small warehouse districts. You can usually rent one for $500-$700 a month. Look in indutrial area's. Friend of mine in Granbury rents one for $350 a month, has 8 cars in it and plenty of room still to work. Electricity costs him $75 a month.

13. poinzey

poinzey 1/2 ton status

That one off Colins and 20 should be the Arlington Municipal one if anyone has and Arlington phonebook. O, and the 10 miles is south of fort worth, so from grapevine you might be lookin at 20-30 miles. :confused:

14. project84k5

project84k5 Registered Member

i am pretty sure the airport off of collins and 20 doesnt mind a little vehicle traffic. spinks airport is about 10 miles south of fort worth, not grapevine. i would have to say its about 30 to 40 minutes from hall-johnson, glade rd area. not hard to get there but its just a bit of a drive

ryan

15. MrArmyAnt

MrArmyAnt 1/2 ton status

I'll look into warehouses tomorrow in my area after dentist (surgery :() . If it is close to me it is more central to some other people, as well as I can check on it daily to make sure everyone's stuff is ok. How many sqft should we allow per car? Tools?

16. tx_sub

tx_sub 1/2 ton status

i've been keeping my eye on this thread seeing if anyone further north was kicking around some places. with as many people who have responded, its a task finding where people are and how far they are from this and that. BranndonC set up this site CK5 Member Map but it has stagnated. us texas folk should all register to give a better idea of geography. I work down the road from the Denton airport, but not sure what there is for hanger space.

17. MrArmyAnt

MrArmyAnt 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I signed up on the map but we need more people! Start are own DFWK5 shop! Yeehaw. Not for biz of course. I think central DFW is best, I see a lot more Ft. Worth than dallas people though, so maybe a little more towards Ft. Worth, but northern. (actually theres got to be some place near marshall creek). email me at MrArmyAnt@gmail.com and I'll set up a email group. I need all ya'lls friends that are interested too.

18. tx_sub

tx_sub 1/2 ton status

Just curious if you made any progress MrArmyAnt? And did anyone start a DFW Google map thing?

19. MrArmyAnt

MrArmyAnt 1/2 ton status

I found a wherehouse south of justin, they may have one available soon. 40x40, running water, we pay electricity, 635 a month. Im currently looking for an acreage somewhere here we can do this, because at a rate that high i could pay of a mortage for a 3000 sqft building and a few acres of land.