Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

diabetic anyone?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by tecton, Mar 23, 2004.

1. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

anyone here a diabetic? i have some questions...

i hear it can effect your feet, how so?

eyesight, same thing

2. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

my grandfather is a diabetic, it kills the circulation in the legs(not sure how really) and they suffer from leg pains. He used to like to walk alot, now he has a hard time walking down the street. A couple of severe diabetics I have heard of having feet and sometimes entire legs amputated.

3. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

ever since i started working a while back, ive been on my feet alot, from a long time of not being as much

and i think mabye its a pinched nerve but they are like numb in the toes

4. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

if you just wanna be sure next time u go to doc have em check it. Will be pretty noticeable like 400 instead of like 80. Or if you know someone diabetic use their testing machine and test yourself.

5. JDBlazer454

JDBlazer454 1/2 ton status

I am diabetic, type 2 diet controlled insulin resistent. People who have diabetes usually have poor circulation, get infections more easily, heal more slowly from infections, their eyes get less circulation causing loss of eye sight, regarding their feet its the low circulation and bacteria and poor shoes that give them problems.

To find out if you are diabetic have a doctor check you out, normal blood glucose is 75 to 125 anything above that is considered dangerous. The highest I have seen mine is 425 and I blacked out after that point. Good signs of possibly having blood glucose problems...dizziness or room spinning, severe hunger, severe fatigue, cold sweats, burry vision when hungry, sharp stomach pains after eating something sweet, uncontrollable shaking, and constant infections.

I found out I had it by going to the doc for a bladder infection that wasn't going away even after medication. She did a urine dip only to discover that I had high glucose levels in my urine causing my bladder infections. I was also having severe dizzy spells that they kept diagnosing as an inner ear infection when it was actually related to the diabetes. Now that I have my diabetes under control and eating well and lost 70 lbs I feel pretty good most of the time.

6. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

i heal quickly...im the rub dirt in it and go type

im hungry, but thats cause im a big mfer

i feel sick when i eat, cause i eat too much

i dont feel dizzy...its funny, i could climb a vertical wall of vaseline, but standing still ill not pay attention and trip.

severe fatigue....i get that sometimes, usually from not eating or staying up 36 hours +

so given that information, im thinking probably just a pinched nerve or my imagination

7. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    i hear it can effect your feet, how so?

[/ QUOTE ]

Diabetic Neuropathy. You lose sensation in your feet. You also develop poor circulation in your feet. So, if you step on a nail you may not find out for days and end up with a big wound. Or, your shoes might be too tight and you wont know it and you will end up with a wound that way. Regular trips to the podiatrist are recommended for diabetic patients.

[ QUOTE ]
    eyesight, same thing

[/ QUOTE ]

To be brief, you can go blind.

Although you didnt ask, it can also affect every organ in your body, including your kidneys.

The key to reducing diabetic complications is to keep your blood sugar normal. Some people have the idea that even if your blood sugar goes to 300 and 400, if you take your insulin and it comes down then you have done no damage. This is absolutely untrue. You need to keep it from becoming high in the first place.

A very good test for determining your risk for long term diabetic complications is a simple blood test, the HGa1c, or hemoglobin A1C, also called the glycosylated hemoglobin. If it is normal, then you have been doing a great job controlling your diabetes. If it it not, then you have not and unchecked, you will probably have complications.

Your doctor can only do so much to treat diabetes. It is up to the patient to do the real work - avodiing obesity, excersing, eating appropriately, and checking the blood sugar frequently.

8. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I just read your post - it looks like you were wondering if maybe you were diabetic, not that you are diabetic.

If you are really concerned, a doctor visit is best.

A good indicator of undiagnosed diabetes is polydipsia, or excessive thirst and urination. You always feel thristy and go pee a lot, despite not being dehydrated. Polphagie, or excessive eating, is common too but not very reliable since the majority of Americans are overweight anyway so what's the difference.

HTH

9. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Just a note

An artist whose name I won't mention is almost blind in one eye from diabetes and is fighting with the help of his emplyer to get insurace to help him out

It's very sad to see an artist loose vision

Making sure you have good insurance if you are diabetic, I'd assume, would be a good plan...

10. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Diabetes can cause blindness, kidney failure, heart problems and diabetic neuropathy, which is a loss of sensation, especially in limbs.

Too high a blood sugar level causes the small arteries of the body to rupture. In the fine arteries of the eyes, this causes blindness.

High blood sugar levels create an environment for infection, often causing gangrene or non healing ulcers (leading to gangrene and requiring limb amputation) .

Blood sugar levels are contollable in anyone, if they take correct medication, get sufficient sleep (8+ hours is typical), drink 8 glasses of water a day minimum, and get moderate exercise every day. Even walking for half an houtr is good.

Dropping only 10 pounds for many people can help significantly reduce blood sugar levels.