Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Diagnose This ('90 350 TBI) *UPDATE*

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Bubba Ray Boudreaux, May 18, 2004.

1. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Diagnose This (\'90 350 TBI) *UPDATE*

This ought to be a hoot so here we go.

Vehicle: '90 3/4 ton 4wd with 350 TBI, 4 SPD manual well abused farm truck.

Problem: It ain't running.

This is my brother's truck. He thought it was the fuel pump, so after replacement, it still ain't running.

Knock sensor was replaced in conjuction with the fuel pump because when he replaced the engine, he didn't know the knock sensor was a needed item. I hooked the new sensor up last night, is the plug suppose to be a bare, needle looking thing? My thought is that there used to be some sort of rubber cover over this.

So the truck wasn't running, narrowed down to there's no power to the fuel pump, since it's not running with the key on. Today, he said he is not even getting a check engine light.

One thing we found last night was a wire (orange with black stripe IIRC) going into the fuel pump relay had been wrecked, showing bare wire which occured because apparently the air filter housing turned around /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif.

I'm at a lost, and I'm the one who's got the knowledge to get us this far, but don't have the truck running yet.

Thoughts, ideas????????????

5/21/04

I mentioned the bare wire up above. I had called my father in law Monday night, and he told me the fusible link was probably the problem.

Well last night, we went back down and a buddy that is good at this electrical stuff started chasing stuff and I show him the wire. With a disbeleiving audience gathered around (except myself), he showed the world that in fact this was the problem and in fact the fusible link had gotten killed by this bare wire. So in the end, my brother gets all kinds of grief for not listening to the more intelligent folks and I get a free spare fuel pump. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Re: Diagnose This (\'90 350 TBI)

Is there a fuse for that fuel pump wire? Are you getting power in and out of the relay?

3. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Well, since y'all are in Okie Land, check to see if there's an engine under the hood.... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

check the fuse, if power there then checkthe relay, physically pull the square plastic cover off of it make sure itworks as advertised. if not replace itif yes then make surethat you get power fromfuse to the relay and make sure there is power coming from where ever it comes from to activate the relay. then check continuity between the relay and the pump. and check the ground for the pump also.if relay is not being activated find out why now that your this far, you will need a wireing diagram, I prefer alldata, its very indepth for things like this ???pm me, I'll get back to you as soon as I can /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Well, since y'all are in Okie Land, check to see if there's an engine under the hood.... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

6. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey buttmunch, if I wanted your answer, I would have given it to you /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

Forgot to add one piece of information, checked all fuses since this POS doesn't have a fuse labeled for the fuel pump. There was one that was not working, it was the SGL LGHT fuse. The book said that the fuel pump fuse should be 20 amp, checked all of those, all were good.

7. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Check for power in and out of the relay next.

8. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nada coming out of the relay............

9. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nada coming out of the relay............

[/ QUOTE ]

Any power in with the key on? Should actually have 2 wires with power when the key is on and only 1 when the key is off.

10. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

The wire you said was wrecked goes directly to the fuel pump. You can jump from the battery to that wire and see if the fuel pump is working properly. Have you checked any of the fuse links on the fire wall?

11. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Does the truck have any power? Sounds like it could be a bad ground.

12. muddbudd72

muddbudd72 Registered Member

i recently had the same problem with my 90 blazer with the 350 and tbi. changed fuel pump, relay, and oil pressure sending unit. changed ignition module and has run fine since. module sends signal to emc to fire injectors. it would run for a few seconds whn gas was poured down the tbi. hope this helps.

13. scoutillac

scoutillac 1/2 ton status

My 88 tbi would run good with a squirt of starting fluid. But if you shut it off you would have to squirt it again. Turned out to be the fuel sending relay. 14.00 at Motion Auto.

14. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    Does the truck have any power? Sounds like it could be a bad ground.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's got power, but no power to the fuel pump.

15. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Check your ignition module like Mudbudd says. If it goes out, the ECM will cut power to the fuel pump/relay to keep the engine from flooding.

16. justinf

justinf 1/2 ton status

You should have power with the key off to the orange wire at the relay. With the key on, there should be power on a green with black stripe wire. With the key on, check for power on both of these, if you have power on both of them, then check for power on the tan with white stripe wire, this should be the wire going to the fuel pump. If there is no power on it, then I would check to make sure the black wire going to the relay is grounded. If it is, then I would say the relay is bad.

17. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

I also had the same problem. I had blown my ecm or ecmb fuse ( the one for the fuel pump). Replaced that fuse and all was good.

18. bigburban383

bigburban383 1/2 ton status

Fix that broken wire. Make sure your oil pressure switch is connected. You can bypass the Fuel Pump Relay (factory bypass), jump power to that extra wire sticking out of the relay located on the firewall towards the passenger side. If you have access to a wiring diagram it would be very helpful....check that, you also have to know some electrical diagnosis. A knock sensor would not prevent the truck from running. So if the fuel pump does not work after that bypass, its probably a bad wire, like a ground rusted. Look back under the rear driverside wheel well and check for that ground on the frame. If it all possible, check the wiring harness at the tank for power to the pump. Once the pump starts working, crank the engine and watch the injectors for fuel spray. If it don't start then its ignition related. Good luck.

19. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Did you check all the fuses?

20. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    Check your ignition module like Mudbudd says. If it goes out, the ECM will cut power to the fuel pump/relay to keep the engine from flooding.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure? When I had an ignition module go out a few years ago, I didn't lose power to the pump. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    Did you check all the fuses?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup.