Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Diagnose this sound =/

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TXsizeK5, Jun 13, 2002.

1. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

While driving on the free way I turn about 3k at roughly 65-70mph in 3rd 1:1 in my SM465... My question is when i left off the gas it gives me this noise like a metal brush scraping on a sheet of metal. Almost sounds like really bad high pitched windnoise. This only happens when i let completely off the throttle. Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong? thanks!

2. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

u-joint maybe?

3. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

It shows you have a 6" lift - are your driveline angles in phase? Mine made that sound you decribed after I lifted it, it took some shims to get them back in phase. I have heard of u-joints going bad make some funny noises also, might want to check them quick!

4. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

Check your fluid in the t-case to see if it is low. Especially if it is a 205.

5. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

How do I check for bad U-joints and Driveline angles? I have a 208 i think, but I'll check. Thanks for the responses.

6. smartpatrol

smartpatrol Registered Member

If you really want to hear it put it in 4 low and let off the gas. My np208 makes a lot of noise like that.

7. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

To check your U Joints, take a drive for a few miles, then slide under the truck and carefuly feel them. If one is alot hotter than the rest it's going bad. Also grab the drive shaft and try and move it up and down and sideways. Shouldn't be much if any play in the joints. Jack up the back putting jack stands under it, with the parking brake off and the trans in neutral, turn the shaft it should turn smoothly once you take the play in the rear end out. If you know someplace you can get it up on a hoist then also spin the drive lines with the axles at full drop. That will check for binding there. Also at the same time take a strong light and look at the ears that the joint attaches to, look for contact between the shaft and flange sides. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif