Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Diagnosing Electrical problem?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by roostr3269, Apr 2, 2003.

1. roostr3269

roostr3269 1/2 ton status

I put the new BB in last summer and it ran great, no problems at all. I put it up for the winter and just got it out a few weeks ago. I have noticed now that after sitting overnight the battery is just about dead the next morning. I tried the test light method on the battery and pulling fuses but it didnt tell me anything obvious. I have an optima red top, alternator is new. I am wondering now if i hooked up the test light wrong? Any ideas on how to correctly test to see where the draw is coming from w/o taking it to someone and paying top dollar to have this remedied? Thanx in advance.

2. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

Connect the test light to the battery, and start pulling fuses one by one. If the test light gets brighter when you pull a fuse out, that tells you there is a short in the circuit after that fuse (i.e., in the system that fuse services).

However, the short could very well be between the battery and fuse box. And pulling fuses won't tell you where that short is.

3. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

How old is the battery? Optima has a 3 year free replacement policy. Take the battery back and get your free replacement and go from there.

4. roostr3269

roostr3269 1/2 ton status

Panther, I think thats my problem, not able to detect where its at. It was fine when i parked it last fall and now its not. I think I might try turning the battery back in and start from there, thanx again guys.