Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dial Up Warning! Lots of Carnage Pics! Wife Rolled my '95 Z28

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 350350, Dec 16, 2004.

1. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

I posted this in 'Other Rides', where it should probably rightfully be, but I didn't get the pictures to work right in there, and it won't get as much traffic there either. I wanted to try out the new picture hosting service I have somewhere that will get some traffic...

Long Story Short, The Wife totaled my car when an old man cut her off on the interstate and when she tried to regain control, she lost it and rolled several times. My kids were with her too, and thanks to them being buckled in tight, they were fine. The Wife, on the other hand, was NOT buckled in, as she refuses to wear her seatbelt, and is still pretty bruised up 2 weeks later! You'd think she would learn her lesson, but notta.

So in summary, after long debate with the insurance company, I got a reasonable amount of money for my car, and I bought back the wreck for $900. It's got a strong LT1/6spd with 90,000 miles on the clock, and the rear end is good. The interior is mint (as was the rest of the car before the wreck) so I'm going to use the powertrain and interior for my '78 Malibu.

Here are the pictures of the care before the wreck, then the wreck... Read below for the story and pictures of the replacement car that I'm picking up this weekend...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the first nice car I'd ever bought, and I always thought I'd be upset if anything happened to it. It had some modifications, so of course insurance doesn't pay for blood, sweat, tears, and being on fire... But let me tell you that when I got the call that said my Wife and Kids were in an accident, the last thing I even thought about was the car... That trip to the hospital was the loneliest 20 minutes of my life, all I could think about was the kids. The car never entered my mind, and I even drove through the accident scene and saw the car on my way to the hospital.

Anyway, the pictures below are of the replacement car... It just happened that I got lucky and found a '97 SS that is nearly a twin to my car and I always wanted an SS. My car was so clean that I got enough out of it to buy this SS. This SS is also very clean, and untouched, completely stock with the one exception of 4.10 gears that the guy put in when he had the rear end replaced under warranty. I'm flying from North Carolina to New Jersey and driving the car 10 hours back on Saturday, so I'm really excited. I can't believe I'm actually going to have a real SS car. I'm not usually one for flash and hood scoops and tall spoilers, but hell you only live once. I'm generally more of a sleeper kind of guy, so the hood scoop will have to grow on me a little.

With the Ram Air and other SS modifications, this car should run about as good as my old one did. I was running high 13's before, and I think that's what the LT1 SS's ran as well. Time will tell!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

AAHHHHHHH man that sucks. Glad to hear everyone is ok.

Good deal on buying it back from the INS company and VERY nice before and after camaros :cool1:
    Still got an indiana plate too I see :p:

3. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I always wanted a z28 or ss but insurance is to high for me. Glad to hear everyone was ok!

4. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

Glad to hear that your wife and kids are OK(for the most part). Excellent deal on the buy back, and I am sure that you will enjoy that SS.

5. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Glad everyone was alright, that was a fine car. I was just looking at my friend's 99 firebird the other day and I was ooohing and ahhhing but the thought of being tangled up in that thing was downright scary.

6. zx672

zx672 Registered Member

Glad to hear your family is ok. However, you need to get on your wife about wearing a seatbelt!!!!! She got real lucky.

Oh, and the SS is awesome! :bow:

7. 85burbanator

85burbanator 1/2 ton status

wow. im glad nobody was seriously injured. i drove a newer ss not to long ago and it was pretty fast. ive drivin faster but for a mostly factory car it was pretty badass. 6 speed hurst shifter thing hauled. im not a big fan of the styling but the powerplant is pretty nice.

8. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

That car sure did hold up pretty well for being rolled, the top doesnt even looked like it moved:D
    Glad everyone was ok, bruises can be healed but lost family members cant:crazy:

9. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

So glad everyone walked away from the wreck.
    I got real worried when I read the title of the thread.

Cars can be replaced family cannot.

10. uao85

uao85 1/2 ton status

glad everything turned out ok and your insurance company didnt try to pull one over on ya. If you want a site with alot of useful information about engine swaps into older cars go to www.ls1tech.com and go to their conversion page. Mostly ls1 based motor swaps but there are quite a few lt1 swap cars as well as people who know everything there is to know about doing it.

Remington