Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Diamond plate body armor for K5s?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 83k5inthefort, Jul 6, 2004.

1. 83k5inthefort

83k5inthefort Registered Member

Just wondering if anyone has found a place to find pre-cut/shaped diamond plate body armor for Blazers... it's an 83 K5 if that helps. I've looked all over the internet with no success. Thanks in advance!
    JLS

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

No pre-cut stuff but there is a guy on Pirate that plated both sides of his K5 with diamond plate. Pretty neat looking but I'd be worried about it rusting underneath. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

3. 83k5inthefort

Yeah, unfortunately there's some cancer already in the quarter panels all along the bottom. Nothing rusted through yet, so I'm going to sand it all down and primer it with some sealant, but don't want to worry about paint matching. I can get my hands on the diamond plate if anyone can recommend someone in the Fort Collins/Denver area who could cut it for me without charging an arm and a leg...

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I think diamond plate body armor is stupid on anything. Diamond plate is made to be gripier than a simple sheet of steel. Why would you want grip from a body or skid plate? Not to mention the weight it would add to really plate a K5 up.

5. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Bling factor!

Come on that should be a no brainer, it just looks cool.
    Plus it is thicker and tougher than most of the sheetmetal on a K5.
    The fact that it grips better is only an issue if you wheel in tight places, I can understand it being a problem on your rigs but not so bad for others.

I'd kinda like to see diamond plate rocker boxes on my Burb, as well as the lower rear fenders.
    Course I'd go flat black, but it would be nice and tough.
    If I had jjlaughner's skill I'd redo my Burb's entire floor in diamond plate too!

6. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Bling factor!
    If I had jjlaughner's skill I'd redo my Burb's entire floor in diamond plate too!

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

I'm planning the tailgate area where I cut the taillights out making it diamond plate and wrapping it around the sides. Since I have rust on the doors, I'm going to plate the side panels also. The idea of the plate is A looks (come on its cool looking), B (in my case) to cover or convert rusted areas, C. crush protection. How many people have lost a taillight from crushing the rear section, or broken some glass in the door or made it to where the window wouldn't roll up and down after a heavy blow to the door. Add thicker metal and you spread out the impact to a larger area.
    If I remember right, and I'm sure someone else knows for sure, but isn't diamond plate more rigid because of the treads? Because its harder to bend 1/8" diamond plate than its it flat 1/8" steel. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

7. NerdBoy

NerdBoy 1/2 ton status

So, any suggestions to someone that might be interested in making stuff like this? I want to cover my rocker panels in it...

8. 83k5inthefort

Added weight could definately be an issue, but I'm not planning on tanking it out a-la that guy in Granby with his bulldozer. Just lower panels about 6" up from the bottom from the doors back. Maybe... 100-150 lbs? It's aluminum after all.

9. 4xrick

4xrick 1/2 ton status

ya I think it would add a bit of weight but be worth it for the protection and it would look really cool at the same time. if anyone does figure out a way i would really like to find out I would like to do it on minr too.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. duece21

duece21 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    but I'm not planning on tanking it out a-la that guy in Granby with his bulldozer

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif
    Oh come on!! Just pour some concrete between your door panels and add about a 1/2 of diamond plate.. Insert .50 cal mounting holes and cruise down I-25 around 5:00 p.m.....
    /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

11. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

[ QUOTE ]
    Added weight could definately be an issue, but I'm not planning on tanking it out a-la that guy in Granby with his bulldozer. Just lower panels about 6" up from the bottom from the doors back. Maybe... 100-150 lbs? It's aluminum after all.

[/ QUOTE ]

[​IMG]

here is a pic of my blazer the day I brought her home..april of 2001

it had 1/8 aluminum dimond plate along the hole bottom, the only recomendation I have is to mount it with adhesive simmilar to body molding adhasive..other wise you are only promoting rust with any holes you drill. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. IGOR

IGOR 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I believe at one time ORD actually had a kit for diamond plate rockers - I think it is long obsolete now, but he might know where to get some?