Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dick cepek quiet giants

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big k5, Mar 13, 2004.

1. big k5

big k5 Registered Member

does anyone remember these tires? They were a giant radial street tires.I remember them from the late 80's. I just wonder if they are still produced or if there is something out there similar.On one of my K5's I'm running a mickey thompson baja belted (18x39x15) tire. The tires are very bad about weaving all over the road when you least expect it.Of course that may just be the size & width,but I'm down to about 40% tread so I thought it was time to look at something different.If anyone has info on these tires please post it.I've searched on the internet & can't seem to find anything.
    Thanks,Bruce

2. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

somebody bought out the dick cepek line. I'm not sure who. Somebody else would know. I think they killed the line though.

3. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

i always wondered if they made big a$$ street tires

4. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I know a kid selling some of those 39" STS's and was consideering buying them, but I fou\nd out they suck hard on everything but street though, may want to look into those

5. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

Mickey Thompson bought out the late, great Dick Cepek. You can still buy some of the "Fun Country's" from National Tire Warehouse. They also make some other sizes up to 44".

6. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

The old "big" DC's (like 40"-44") were Bias Plys not radials and they did make up to I belive a 38" in radial. The 36"s were like 16" wide which is why they made such great floatation tires for snow and all. The newer fun countries are a Kevlar belt and not radials. They make a radial but not in the old tread pattern anymore. And like previously mentioned Mickey Thompson bought the rights to name for producing tires.

DC Poly/Kevlar ply
    DC Radials
    /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

7. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    Mickey Thompson bought out the late, great Dick Cepek. You can still buy some of the "Fun Country's" from National Tire Warehouse. They also make some other sizes up to 44".

[/ QUOTE ]
    Mickey Thompson reengineered the fun country and they are now the fun country kevlars, about the only thing they have in common with the old FC's is the tread pattern.

8. big k5

big k5 Registered Member

thanks for all the information. I'm not too sure about the fun country's,so i geuss i'll start looking around at other brands.

9. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

I had a set of 33x16.50x16.5, Fun Country's on a old Furd with a diesel engine in it, I got 40,000 mi. out of 'em, an they do balance. They were a good snow/sand tire. Not to shabby in the mud either, but definately NOT a Bogger or Iroc!

10. chevrules

chevrules 1/2 ton status

if you are looking for a big street tire...go with the STS swamper