Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dicorced Doubler?

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by skratch, Mar 23, 2006.

1. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

I've been considering an engine swap that would force me to use a 2wd tranny (8.1L w/ Allison) and I was wondering about the possibility of building a divorced doubler setup.

I know that there are divorced 203 cases around, 32 spline Ford units if my understanding is correct, and I was wondering if that range box would work with the doubler kit?
    If it would then I should just need the normal 205 for the swap and a way to modify the linkages and crossmembers to support this.

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

basicly correct. i asked stephen this also on the phone for a bit. just need to make some custom mounts and linkage. then let them know its a ford 203 range box.

and i just saw one end today on ebay for 39.95 only 1 bid. if it was closer i would have grabed it up my self.

3. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

I have a divorced Ford 203 torn down... the backside looks the same as married Ford 203.

4. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Very cool!

Thanks for the info guys.
    I know where to get a divorced 203.
    Now to locate the 205 without breaking the bank, that's what the engine swap is for!

5. Keith in CO

Keith in CO Registered Member

divorced doubler

What about a 203 married to a TH400 but divorced to a NP200? I need the offset rear output of the 200. Anyone know of a 203 which would better lend itself to this application, or anyone who makes a plate to hold the 203 range box rear output shaft in place?
    Thanks

6. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

You can steal some pieces from the 200 to make an offset output 205. Then its just a matter of a basic 203/205 doubler kit.

Or, get a LH-drop NP241 for the TH400... better ratios and won't get in the way of the front driveshaft. ;)

7. Keith in CO

Divorced doubler

I've known of three people who tried to put the 200 parts into the 205 to get the offset rear output (right side), but the result is 2 and 4 low only, and it is not possible to get any high range.

I have RH drop front diff. How would a LH drop 241 work for me? :confused:

8. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Hmmm... maybe the NP200 parts theory is only a myth? :o

Use the 241 instead of trying to modify a 203. Drive the front diff with the NP200.

9. Keith in CO

Divorced doubler

D'oh! Now I get it. I currently have a 2wd TH400 with the 4" tail shaft housing. What adaptor would I use for the Th400/241 and what length TH400 tail shaft does it use? Also, what is the length of the 241, and what is the 4WD low ratio? Any years for the 241 which are preferable or to be avoided?
    Thanks