Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dictionary for Unknown Words for a Newbie!!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by cannibal, Apr 6, 2003.

1. cannibal

cannibal Registered Member

heya guys, hail to all

i'm really nu' in this kinda stuff and so new for the cars world as a general, i just ur help about names of parts i see alot around here, <font color="green"> </font> Headers, catalisers, Q-jet, <font color="white"> </font> thanks for help, any extra things are welcomed /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

1st welcome to CK5. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Headers, these replace exhast manifolds, on average they will give 15-20 HP increase in power since they flow better. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif They do have downfalls since alot of guys have problems w/ them sealing and you then have an annoying tick of exhaust leaks.

Qjet, Quadra Jet carb that came on most GM vehicles since basicly forever. Early ones (70s) are best since they have no electronic garbage on them. They will handle extreme angles some call it poormans or redneck fuel injection. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Personally I like Holleys. Edelbrocks are supposed to be a close second to the Qjet, but I disagree. I had my Holley tilted pretty good and never bogged down w/ fuel flooding, my Edelborck thats on now, brand new too, bogged out and finally stalled the other nite when I twisted my Blazer up on an RTI ramp the other nite. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif But Qjet is supposed to be the best as far as carbs go for handling angles. I dont like them myself but thats just me.

Catalisers, Ill take a stab and assume you mean "Cats", Catalytic Converters. An emission part that goes in the exhaust that I personally have no use for. If you live in an area that has emmsion testing and have to have them you can get Performance High Flow cats, that will not restrict the exhaust flow as much. If I lived in an area that did emission testing Id just gut them myself so the case would be there for the visual test. A properly tuned eng. shouldnt need them IMO. Incase you dont know what they are, in a very basic description, they restict exhaust flow to heat them up to very hot temps that will burn any unburned fuel or crap in the exhaust to make it "run" cleaner. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Hope this helps, and if I messed anything up someone will be along soon to correct me. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

3. balzackks84

balzackks84 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    hey do have downfalls since alot of guys have problems w/ them sealing and you then have an annoying tick of exhaust leaks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since when do donuts seal well? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

4. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Very valid point. I havent had anything but headers on my rigs since sometime in the mid 80s so I forget the down falls of cast maifolds. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif