Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

did 89 4.3 vortec exist ? idle problems

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by R72K5, Aug 21, 2003.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

ok friend of mine picked up an 89 c1500 withn 4.3vortec, blackplastic valvecoverswithvortec in them, was vortecout in 89 ?

i keepseeing 95andup only, but 350version

whats going on here ? about 130k originalmileson truck and suppozsedly rebuilt 4.3 witharound 70konit,but it doesnt looklike it, its all nasty dirty and idles liek junk,.

how do i fix the crappy horrible idle problem on vortec 4.3 ?imgonna plugoff EGR and clean IAC motor tip and hole, IACis usedon vortec,right ? or just TBI ?

what else could be wrong ? horrible idle especially at cold warm up, chug and lug and sputter, great on freeway though. stuck in closed loop ? open loop ?

we would appreciate any info at all,links, pages, anything at all.

thanks

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I dunno why you'd want to plug off EGR instead of just making sure it's working right, but thats me...

I've seen enough evidence for me to believe that GM was calling the 4.3's "Vortecs" a long time before 1996. (V8 version Vortec)

I have a *suspicion* that the early vortec 4.3's were just given that name to encourage sales. The redesigned heads and CPI make a Vortec motor a Vortec.

Sounds like IAC, but it could be something like bad ignition components as well.

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

cuz dont need ot have EGR to run engine, no smog checks or tests in IL, so it doesnt matter, i want to rule it out,im sure the EGRis junk by now with allthe miles and corrosion under the hood.

if was igntion problemthen how couldit be runningperfect when warm and on freeway ?

hmm.
    the engine is fullblown vortec,old and dirty, no evidence of swap or rebuild,

are we sure the 4,3L werent vortec before the v-8s ?

thanks!

4. 89BlazerK5

89BlazerK5 1/2 ton status

yes, the Vortec 4.3 came out before the 5.7. my 94 2wd is a Vortec 4.3 but, i didn't think they went back as far as 89. i thought they came out around 92 or 93, maybe even 94. i worked on an 88 or 89 ski boat with the 4.3, and it was definately not vortec. but, it had a carberator.

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

carbon an 89 ? eh ?

man.. this is getting odder and odder..

thanks!

6. HD

HD 1/2 ton status

1993 was the first year for the 4.3 vortec. Found mostly in the S-10 blazer.

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

odd, wonder how or why this 89 gmc 1500 has one then, hrmmm,just got tile today, definitely 89 gmc 1500

losted..

thanks!

8. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

can tbi intake work on vortec 4.3 ? maybe it startedlife as vortec 4.3 and then they put the tbi on it and left the factory vortec coverson the vortec engine when the swap was done,that means engine really has been wapped and isnt just a rumor.
    appeares to be unmolested under hodo however, not even a tiny bit of evidence of such,

9. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

yes vortec motors existed in 89, my 86 originally had a 4.3liter vortec v6, carbureted..

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Tehy called them vortecs? i've seen older 4.3s that definetally didn't say Vortec on them anywhere. TBI ones and all.

11. dyeager535

[ QUOTE ]
    cuz dont need ot have EGR to run engine,

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't need AC in AZ either, but it's nice to have. Decreased chance of detonation with better economy isnt necessary, but its nice. I just don't see scrapping a system that hurts nothing, helps everything, and isn't a defined problem. AIR yes, EGR no, at least IMO.

[ QUOTE ]
    if was igntion problemthen how couldit be runningperfect when warm and on freeway ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because bad ignition is easier to "feel" at low RPM's. Pull a plug wire off and then tell me if the difference is more pronounced at idle or at 2000RPM. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Vacuum leak is the same way.

12. Confedneck

sled, it says vortec on my glovebox door so i guess they did call them vortecs in 86..

13. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

interesting didn't know that

14. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Yes, they started using the Vortec name on the 4.3 engines long before they came out with the CPFI system that is now called Vortec. I think they used the name on both carbureted and TBI engines.

15. HD

HD 1/2 ton status

Okay, sorry I was wrong. I just know that the 4.3 did not say Vortec on them for the S-10 Blazer untill '93.

16. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    cuz dont need ot have EGR to run engine,

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't need AC in AZ either, but it's nice to have. Decreased chance of detonation with better economy isnt necessary, but its nice. I just don't see scrapping a system that hurts nothing, helps everything, and isn't a defined problem. AIR yes, EGR no, at least IMO.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because bad ignition is easier to "feel" at low RPM's. Pull a plug wire off and then tell me if the difference is more pronounced at idle or at 2000RPM. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Vacuum leak is the same way.

[/ QUOTE ]

EGR commonlycorrode and rust and hang open, thats why i am disconnecting it, you must be one of the rare individuals who loves and claims EGr are faultless,

nice...

i believe otherwise, however,

dont have to have or need EGR, id remove it and block plateit off if it was my truck, but its not, so i just plugged the hose only

no point in EGR on million miles old engine

17. dyeager535

Believe what you want, second guess GM's billions of dollars of research and developement. They put ALL that crap on that engine for their health and to save themselves tons of money.

I don't "love" EGR. What I love are fuel injected vehicles that run like they are supposed to, which happens to include mileage. Not my fault if you (or your friend) can't keep the vehicle in tune or spend the time to diagnose problems properly.

18. Confedneck

vortec is only referring to the head design anyways..blocking off the egr will only prevent the emissions equipment from working properly...thats all about what makes your pickle wiggle and all but why not install a new one if blocking it off fixes it?

19. jmd

jmd Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    cuz dont need ot have EGR to run engine, no smog checks or tests in IL, so it doesnt matter, i want to rule it out,im sure the EGRis junk by now with allthe miles and corrosion under the hood.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your assumptions are wrong.

I've seen a zillion EGR valves in IL because it's where I'm from.

I wasted money replacing one, thinking it "would have to help; it has miles on it." It was on a SBC w/ around 150k on it, from IL. I was wrong. So are you.

If you wanna see if the EGR is bad and stuck open, just lift up on the inner diaphragm while the engine is idling. If it bogs down the engine badly, then the valve isn't bad.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It takes little power to roll a vehicle down the highway. The engine is usually under more load when under acceleration.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Your first post mentions valve covers. If I put 1986 Corvette valve covers on my Monte, does that make it...? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

If you're working on a TBI 4.3, you're very wise to get a scan tool that can tell you what each sensor etc. is doing. If you know what spark advance is, and how rich / lean it's running at the times of difficulty, you'll be that much wiser in solving your problems. Pulling off parts you're confused by won't help. Diagnosing properly, will. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

If you enjoy the highway manners of the vehicle, you're foolish to remove the EGR, which help with highway driving.

Boats with carburetors are irrelevant.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Incorrect.

-Matthew

20. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Your assumptions are wrong.

I've seen a zillion EGR valves in IL because it's where I'm from.

I wasted money replacing one, thinking it "would have to help; it has miles on it." It was on a SBC w/ around 150k on it, from IL. I was wrong. So are you.

If you wanna see if the EGR is bad and stuck open, just lift up on the inner diaphragm while the engine is idling. If it bogs down the engine badly, then the valve isn't bad.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It takes little power to roll a vehicle down the highway. The engine is usually under more load when under acceleration.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Your first post mentions valve covers. If I put 1986 Corvette valve covers on my Monte, does that make it...? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

If you're working on a TBI 4.3, you're very wise to get a scan tool that can tell you what each sensor etc. is doing. If you know what spark advance is, and how rich / lean it's running at the times of difficulty, you'll be that much wiser in solving your problems. Pulling off parts you're confused by won't help. Diagnosing properly, will. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

If you enjoy the highway manners of the vehicle, you're foolish to remove the EGR, which help with highway driving.

Boats with carburetors are irrelevant.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Incorrect.

-Matthew

[/ QUOTE ]

i know dub you as Mr. smog equipment lover dude /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif its great that some ppl love ot have old faulty junk smog equipment making their engine run not quite right /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif