Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Did a crappy job on my fender trim..best way to clean it up?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by PetaKane, Jan 22, 2003.

1. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

My first time with my new saw didn't turn out very well. I guess I just got carried away with it. The back turned out okay, but on the front I cut too far back towards the door. Now it looks real nasty and I'm pretty sure if I try to clean it up with a saw it will just get worse, I've already taken enough off that my 44's look kinda small to me. You think if I took it to a place with an experienced plasma cutter they could clean it up?

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

A grinder with a sanding disc on it will clean thing up nicely.

rene

3. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I've already taken enough off that my 44's look kinda small to me

[/ QUOTE ]

bigger tires /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    OH wait this is in the tech forum not NON-4x4

Grinder, mark your line out first so they match on both sides, then maybe add in a rock slider to the bottom may help fill the void?
    /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif I'm wondering if I'll do the same thing this summer, I may trim an inch then look at it for a day or so then trim another inch and look at it.
    Got any pics?

4. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Yeah, maybe post some pics. I cut mine back to the bottom bolt and I think it looks ok.

5. K5thatShmobs

K5thatShmobs 1/2 ton status

Lets definitely see some pics if possible... Then we know what were dealing with. Ive had a horrible experience with a sawzall (however you spell it) too. Those things will just start doing their own thing once you get them going.

See if you can trace a decent looking line around the screwed up hole you have already. Then using a grinder with a cut-off wheel or a die grinder or something of that nature, and SLOWLY cut out that new line. Take measurements and replicate it on the other side. Thats all you can really do for now. IF in the end everything looks screwed, youre only option would be to get some new quarter panels... you can find them lots of places.

6. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

i cut my brothers k5 all the way to the door. i don't think it looks bad at all..

[​IMG]

your best bet will be a grinder with a cutoff wheel as said above.

7. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Here's the unfortunate results of my first fender cutting experience... still have to do the other one too /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif
    fender 1
    fender 2

8. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I agree with Rene....

A grinder with a 5" #40 grit disk would help....
    Or use a hand drill and buy one of those disk adapters from a hardware store...

Then clean-up the worst side first....then clean-up the other side to match... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

9. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

Thanks everybody for your replies. I'm gonna get out there in the cold tomorrow and get after it. Bowtie that looks awesome, that is exactly what I wanted. Do you have any more pics? Or better yet I'll make a quick run down to San Antonio and I can get a sawzall lesson /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

10. or2play

or2play 1/2 ton status

I actually just rounded my fenders out. This is what worked for me. Mark out your lines, getting it close as you can on each side. Then I use aviation snips to cut as close to the line as possible. Then I used a sanding disc on a angle grinder to sand down to the line and smooth everything out.

11. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Looks like you could pound your lower fender back and cut behind all of that. Looks fixable to me.

12. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

come awn down any time you want /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    sawzall are nice, but if you want a clean cut, a grinder with cutting wheels are better..

these are the only pics i have of the fender cutting

http://www.texasoffroad.net/galleries/members/albun10