Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

did a quick search but ...

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Paxx, Feb 22, 2003.

1. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

I did a quick search but I couldn't find the stock hp and torque of a 6.2L or a 6.5L if anyone knows the help is appreciated.

2. 4x4dreamer

4x4dreamer 1/2 ton status

Colorado K5 Specs Page All the info you need is right here. I spent so much time on that page when I was shopping for mine.

3. 4x4dreamer

OK, not ALL the info is....sorry, coffee is still kickin' in.

4. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

lol, thnx there's some good info in there. no torque figures though, if anybodys got em that would be cool /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif and I could still use the numbers for the 6.5 if anyones got em. thnx again

5. 4x4dreamer

I'd check the 6.2 6.5 Diesel Page.com. They have pretty much all the info there.

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I think Diesel Dan posted a Dyno sheet a while back. Search from early December because I asked the same questions.

Rene

7. tRustyK5

8. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

cool thank you very much /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    I still really want to do the cummins instead but considering my lack of mechanical knowledge it's sounding very expensive.
    I talked to one heavy duty mechanic (a buddys dad) who said he'd do it in his shop for $58/hr but that the labour alone would cost me $10 - 15,000 /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif
    now is it just me or does that sound like waaay too much money? I figured that someone should be able to do it for like 5 grand or so. what do you guys think?
    ...anyone wanna take a couple weeks off of work and make 5g's lol /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9. tRustyK5

With a complete Chev parts truck and a donor motor, plus the haynes manual and this forum I spent 7 weeks doing my 6.2 swap...

Granted I did a lot of other stuff at the same time, and I was prolly damn slow...but it isn't a weekend project. The upside with the 6.2 is the initial cost is quite low. Including the parts truck and donor motor plus odds and ends I spent under $1000 US. That includes rebuilding my starter, and buying a new alternator and 2 brand new AC Delco batteries.

As for seat of the pants power level...it's not much slower than my old 350, certainly not enough of a difference to care about IMHO.

Rene

10. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

I did a gas/diesel swap once.
    Involed a '83crew cab with 427talldeck gasser 4sp, donor '83 diesel suburban(bad motor), complete '85 6.2J on engine stand. Just me and my brother in-law worked on it.

Unhooked the batteries sat AM, test drove sunday PM. We was busy beavers /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif. Had to swap in the hydroboost unit, dash harness for GPs etc. Pulled the front clip off the crew cab, much easier to work on.

I do see the cummins into my sub being longer. Having to interface the 4L80E with the CTD sensors, most if not all factory engine wiring will have to go. Seperate controller for the trans, new core suport to modify for the IC. Then the axle swap.

11. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

So.. you wanna fly up to canada and make a few thousand lol.

12. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

ok but if it is going to cost me this much for the swap I will have to go with a gm engine. all towing aside, since I don't plan on towing, which engine will be a better off-roading engine? I know there is a lot of posts comparing the two but they all involve towing. So if I'm not going to tow which would I want? Did I mention that I'm not going to tow anything? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

13. tRustyK5

My swap was a 6.2 mated to a SM465 4 speed, NP205 T-case, and 4.56's and rear detroit with 39.5" TSL's.

For a daily driver I'd prolly choose a more civilized tire...but the rest is awesome. I don't mind letting the 6.2 spin a little on the freeway. I keep up with traffic and almost double the fuel mileage of my old 350.

I've had it off road once since the swap and the difference from the 350 is amazing. No stalling and if there is traction it'll go where it's pointed at idle. It's so nice not to have to fight to keep the thing running right when the trail gets fun! Compression braking is somewhere near unreal.

This is probably the best mod I've done for "Crawlability", never mind the better mileage and superior low end (off idle) response.

My donor was an 85 "J" code 6.2 with no turbo.

Rene

14. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Rene- How do you tell the difference between a "c" code and a "j" and the power difference? I haven't got my deezel decoder ring yet but I'm learning ever so slowly. My bother was laughing at me, cause he had a 2" thick book when he was in the Marines that had EVERYTHING on the 6.2's. He didn't keep it cause he figured none of us would own a deisel...boy was he wrong,LMAO.

Thanks for the help on my starting problems, I was doing that part right just not the give it fuel thing.

OH, mine has a heater on it, I guess thats what it is, since theres a cord zipped tied up by the bumper. do they need a timer or are they self effiecent (butchered that one,LOL). Anyhoo... thanks

-Jeremy
    "Deezel /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif Newbie"!

15. tRustyK5

The C code 6.2's were in the half ton models and have an EGR. The J-code motors were found in the 3/4 ton and one tons and have no EGR.

So didya get it started?

Rene

16. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

ya fired right up after I did the half throttle thing

17. tRustyK5

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

So tell us more about the 'burb. When did ya get it? 2WD or 4WD?

Rene

18. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

(One of two replies from the "/forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif" forum...)

Yeah I did, took possession of a 1989 3/4T scottsdale.
    107,000 miles. Th400 with cooler. 3/4 turn warn premium hubs. new 4" pro comp lift, 35" muds with 500 or so miles on them. Two tone blue. cloth seats.

first order of business is two working headlights, I got pulled over on the way home with the one being out,LOL. I'm using the conversions(H4 bulb, composite 6054) I had in my Jeep.

2nd on the list is to get the windows tinted and possible get it painted.

Should work out great for me, Just need to get rid of this Jeep Cherokee and dump my extra funds into the Willy's and go rip it up.

(part two..)
    http://community.webshots.com/photo/57136271/57136849NqjoTa

http://community.webshots.com/photo/57136271/57136515pnlLxS

It's actually a buddy of Mikes(heavymetal) that had it. I seen it in the truck trader and cicled it but thought nothing more of it with it being a diesel..after speaking with the two of them, I test drove it and bought it.

I'm all happy now, just have to get rid of my 89 XJ. then bring on the Willy's parts!!!!!

-Jeremy
    "DEEZEL " /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

19. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

ok hey now! back to my question! Remember who started this thread /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

20. tRustyK5

[hijack]Nice...and that would be a J-code./forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif[/hijack]

Rene