Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Did a search but didn't find ....tap size for tie rod ends??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by shane74, Feb 28, 2003.

1. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Did a search but didn\'t find ....tap size for tie rod ends??

I have access to a machine shop and cheap materials 9a buddy owes me some favors). My tie rod is shot, and I don't want to replace it with a stock one. Does anybody know the tap size for the tie rod ends? I would love to have a Rockstomper on there, but right now, I can't afford it. I can afford free labor and materials /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif So if anybody could help, I'd appreciate it.

2. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Re: Did a search but didn\'t find ....tap size for tie rod ends??

7/8" x 18TPI

3. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Thanks a million!

4. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

Just had mine threaded it is 7/8th by 18 they had to use the lathe they did not have a tap that size cost 20$ bucks plus they cut the tube to size for me.

5. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

hey shane i have that tap if u need to borrow it.....im in puyallup though....mines a right hand thread tap and the left hand thread tap is really spendy so i did mine with rh on both ends...took longer to get it adjusted ....

6. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    i did mine with rh on both ends

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I was wondering if that was possible. I can see where it would be kind of bear to adjust it though. Did you make your own? If so, what kind of measurements did you take? My thinking is that I would start by measuring the total length of the tie rod on my truck right now. Then by two right hand sides and lay them out that distance apart, and measure the length between them with about 2/3 of the threads inside the tube. Also, I am thining of using 1.25" or 1.375" cold rolled round stock. it'll be heavy, but it should be plenty strong! what are your thoughts?

Yes, if my buddy doesn't have the tap, and you don't mind. I'd like to borrow yours. I'll let you know. Thanks! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif