Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Did a search, but no answer... crossover question:

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Thumper, Sep 6, 2003.

1. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

I have seen guys talking about using the 4x4 steering box with a pitman arm off another vehicle for the crossover type setup to move the arm from left to right instead of front to back. Does anyone know what vehicle to get an arm from? I have heard YJ, and also Ford but couldnt find anything solid. Will the spline size be the same for the arms? I know the GM 4x4 one is splined only 1/4 way around with the bolt indent in it, but which arm can I use? I also know there is a Superlift arm I can use, but I dont want to spend $100.00 on one and I dont know if it will work with the 4x4 box.
    I guess there is another option with the 2wd box... is the arm setup and the 2wd box useable on the crossover setup or is there something wrong with that arm too that it wont work? What about a 2wd arm on the 4wd box?

Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks
    Mike

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

price wise i think the ford arm and 2wd box is cheaper to set up. the other arm you are looking at is for the 4wd box but i couldn't find the link that was on here to it. it's spendy,lol

3. florida4x4

florida4x4 1/2 ton status

4. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Well, problem is that I am here in Canada. They are boning us with prices for stuff, it will cost me 100.00 for the lousy arm, as well as a 2wd box from a junkyard. I am sure I read somewhere that you can swap the arm from the 4wd box with one from another vehicle, and keep the 4wd box.
    Did I read right? I will need to change arms even if I swap to the 2wd box?

Thanks for the replies.
    Mike

5. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

You can swap the shaft from a 2wd box into a 4wd one and use the $100 arm if that helps. Of course you're probably still looking at a junkyard box to do so.

I understand the Canada thing, used to live in Edmonton. You're a bogginfreak, yes?

6. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Ok, did some looking around. The local wrecker wants 75.00 for a 2wd box so I told him to shove it. But I did look at it. The reason we have to go to the 2wd box is to get the shaft that the pitman arm slides on and is held on with a nut right? Its starting to make sense now.
    So, here is what I have clued into so far:
    -The 2wd box will bolt right on in place of the 4wd box and attach to the lines and steering column without issues.
    -As long as I get a box from a early 80s truck so the lines will fit in
    - I can get a busted 2wd box, swap the sector shaft out of it into my 4wd box without any issues
    -this will allow me to install whatever type of pitman arm that I need to for things to work
    - As long as the shaft size and splines are a match.

So... questions left:
    - What years of 2wd steering boxes will work for the lines on my 85 truck? Prolly early 80s right?
    - If the box isnt working well, I can swap the sector shafts easily?
    - What brand (besides the over 100.00 superlift arm) have the same size and type of splines to fit on the arm. I have heard YJ, Ford F150... any more specific answers?
    - I suppose a F150 arm will be closer to the DLE size and taper right?

Gawd... sorry for all the questions... just that there has to be a cheaper way than to buy all the machined mass produced parts that I get hosed for up here in Canada.

BTW, I am a member of Boggfreaks, but I am not from Calgary.

Thanks for the responses.
    Mike

7. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> If the arm that fits on the 4wd box to make it left - right steering turns out to be the YJ arm, I have one in my garage that you can have. I forget where the index is on the 4wd box, if you can tell me I'll go check out the arm to see if it would work. </font>

8. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

ttt /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

9. dhdescender

dhdescender 1/2 ton status

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada - Eh.
    78-79 F150 arm I believe.

I snagged a arm from a van from these years which I also hear works. Yet to pull the arm to test it. Also, if you want to run High misalignment 1 ton DLE's you will need to ream the pitman arm out

10. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status