Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Did a search but still have questions Edelbrock Tubular exhaust TBI w/ AIR

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jjlaughner, Jun 24, 2003.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

OK, looking on Jegs.com no part number for an 87 Blazer 5.7l TBI w/AIR 4WD
    Second, for those that installed it how far does it hang down? Pics? My stock Y-pipe is LOWer than the crossmember and t-case /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

How much more flow/power did it add (worth the money type add)?

Last option is stock manifolds (dont have to pis-with the AC and brackets, then redo the Y pipe and exhaust.
    Found a cheap place for 2.25-3" flex couplers, 3" cat and 3"/dual out flowmaster muffler. I'm thinking this route and new 3" TC springs unless someone has a sparkling review for the edelbrocks! /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

[​IMG]

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I've had the TES setup on my S-10 for about 10 years. Before I installed 'em, it would do 0-60 in 11.8 seconds. Then I installed the TES, a cat-back exhaust, an Edelbrock intake, and Edelbrock chip for the computer. When it was all done (and I was $500 and a complete weekend of my time poorer) it would do 0-60 in, oh, 11.8 seconds! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Edlebrock's answer? "Uh, advance the timing 4 degrees and run premium fuel". DUH! I could have done that to begin with and not spent the $500 on their parts! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I think the pic you show is a TES for a Camaro or Bird. The TES I have on my K5 has the Y pipe in the exact position as the stock one.
    There are driveline clearance problems if you have a lift over 4" and a dropped X fer case.
    As for performance. I noticed the most improvement when I was towing. I could pull long hills beter and had more power. And i got a little better throttle responce. The main reason i got them was my manifolds were warped and they were a easy bolt on.
    Are they worth the price? I think so because i have some other performance mods. But for a stock engine you would prolly be just as well off putting on a good exhaust system and saving the bucks for something else.
    If you have a performance intake and cam and need a set of smog legal headers they work pretty good. They are well built and dont leak.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Re: Did a search but still have questions Edelbrock Tubular exhaust TBI w/

prolly cause their chip already advanced timing as far as you could go, and the knock sensor kept backing the timing off. "Chips" are the biggest fraud since electric turbo's I think /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that GM doesn't leave much on the table when it comes to their factory engine programming. Most chips do just advance the hell out of the timing, then they tell you to run premium fuel and a cooler t-stat to take advantage of the extra advance. On most engines you can do the same thing by just advancing the base timing a few degrees and filling up with premium fuel.

Edelbrock "gives" you a chip when you buy their intake for the 4.3L TBI. The intake comes with a post card that you fill out with the engine particulars and mail back to them. A few days later you get a chip that is purported to be programmed for your particular setup. If the chip didn't come with the intake, I wouldn't have one, as I think they're a waste of money. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

6. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    I think the pic you show is a TES for a Camaro or Bird. The TES I have on my K5 has the Y pipe in the exact position as the stock one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, its just stock pic from jegs, they dont have individual pics of the actual item /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

7. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]
    I've had the TES setup on my S-10 for about 10 years. Before I installed 'em, it would do 0-60 in 11.8 seconds. Then I installed the TES, a cat-back exhaust, an Edelbrock intake, and Edelbrock chip for the computer. When it was all done (and I was $500 and a complete weekend of my time poorer) it would do 0-60 in, oh, 11.8 seconds! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah thats what I figured /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif
    I like them and idea behind them seems good, I would like to have a header with the AIR system, this setup with the y-pipe just seemed to be a good idea but it doesn't sound like you gain alot. I'll toss a new cat and muffler under with bigger pipes and see where that gets me /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    "Chips" are the biggest fraud since electric turbo's I think /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, but they do more than advance the timing... like bypas the govoner. just wish i could find one for my 03 sonoma 2.2l
    k, back on topic.
    Grant

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I dunno who's chips do that...all the ones I've seen only advance base timing, except for the higher dollar custom ones, kind of like Harry said, that take into account your vehicle somewhat. Of course it slowed his down, so you have to imagine they did something worse. Certainly doesn't build confidence that "chips" help anything /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'm not saying it can't be done, I just haven't seen it. A lot of the older vehicles there is no governor anyways. (at least not *set* from the factory, although there are provisions for it)

If you look at the fuel injected PROM's, there is a LOT of stuff in there to change, and most of it complements the other...so without burning a chip specifically for your vehicle, without some sort of analytical data of what the ECM is seeing, it's near a complete waste of time IMO, and also IMO, thats why harry's vehicle ran slower, not the better exhaust.

10. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

I thought about this with another member on here, and that Y pipe will be an issue if used on a lifted truck. Since their Y pipe would have to be customized, I would just shoot for long tubes and a custom y pipe, kind of like Derf00 ???? It will be cheaper also....

Still liking those Goodyears.....

11. jjlaughner

Yeah I'm just going to do the exhaust right now unless I run across a hella cheap set of 3" tc springs /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

What size rim did you mount those 35's on? Pics!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif