Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Did a search...school me on Blazer/Jimmy floors

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by thatK30guy, Jun 7, 2006.

1. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Whats the deal on the floors? Something about the hump or step and what is the year split? Whats it gonna take to run a newer tub on an older chassis? Or vice versa? Anything else other than the floor that needs attention when swapping over old to new or the other way around, such as body mounts and bushings?

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

From what I remember, on old school K5s the floor is the same height front to back.... on newer ones (like my 85) there is a "step" in the tub (about 6-7") just before the rear seat.

I would imagine swapping bodies to different frames would require fabbing some new/different body mounts... at least... not 100% sure what other issues might be involved. Whats the project? Might be easier to go truggy. ;) :thumb:

j

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

'73 to '77 don't have the footwell behind the front seats. The frame also rises up farther forward than the '78-91's. Last difference is the body mounts behind the front seats are inboard on a crossmember. The later models have outboard mounts.

Old body on a new frame is doable if you build a crossmember for those body mounts. New body on an older frame is a bunch tougher...you'd have to section part of the floor (behind the front seats)for it to fit over the frame, and add outboard body mounts.

Rene

4. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

body mounts have another year change in them.... It changes at '81 with a new style front clip....

5. thatK30guy

Sounds like too much hassle to put a new on old. :( Gonna be tough to find literally a rust-free tub in those early 70's years.
    I didn't notice the floor being flat when I was blowing the inside out when I got it. Now you mention it, I will check it out tomorrow when I get home from work. :wink1:

6. thatK30guy

While I was thinking of it, wouldn't a body lift help clear the frame/floor to raise it high enough that sectioning the floor wouldn't be necessary? But still have to add the outboard mounts.

7. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The floor isn't actually flat, but right behind the drivers seats the floor raises up and then straight back to the gate on the 73-77, on the 78-91 the floor doesn't raise up for about a foot or so after the drivers seats then straight to the gate.

8. thatK30guy

Gonna let this thread ride a little bit and see if anyone can post up pictures of both types of floors so we can see/view them for better ideas.

9. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If by tomorrow night no one has taken a pic of the 78-91 version i will take a pic and post it for ya.

10. thatK30guy

Looking forward to it. :waytogo:

11. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Wes,

Here's a shot of the early style (taken of a '77K5):

[​IMG]

12. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I stuck a 77 tub on a 83 frame . The front mounts are the same location , the rear mounts are the same location . Its only the middle mounts that are different .

If you took the middle mounts of the side of the frame on a newer frame , it would work very well .

In my case its a truggy , so my slider kickers are going to the frame to shore up the middle of the tub .

In my case I also raised the rear of the body a bit with lift bushings , so that my 77 tub can fit on the 83 middle frame mounts . Seems there is a rail on the 77 that I could of cut off to make it sit flat on the frame ( 77 has no rocker boxes ) , but I like it higher in the rear for use of regular springs .

13. thatK30guy

That quote brings up another interesting question: Are the rears of the pre-78's lower than the newer trucks?
    My '74 rides on 4" Rancho front springs but only has 2.5" blocks in the rear.

14. pauly383

That I am not sure about . I think there is a frame dimension page I saw a while back . Will find it and link it for ya .

15. pauly383