Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Did anyone buy their KMA bumper with the front receiver?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TX Mudder, Mar 22, 2002.

1. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

For the bumper plus D-rings, it will be $340. For a front receiver hole it is an additional $65. Wondering if anyone got this option and if they liked it.
    On the off chance I have to be towed home with my other truck, that would be nice. But I could just wrap a chain between the two D-rings and do the same thing.
    Just thinking about it.
    Any pics?
    -- Mike

2. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I had that bumper for awhile, sold it to whitewhomper, it was OK for a cheap bumper.

3. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Unless they have changed their business practices dramatically, you may want to pick a new company. As far as customer service after they have gotten your money, KMA stands for Kiss My Ass! They have sold to several people and had extreme delays on bumper shipping, and shipped wrong products. There are local to me and I went to talk to them, the owner was an ass. Ask Grim how he screwed over some of his off-road club members.

Depdog

4. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Yeah, I agree with Dep, I had to order 3 rear bumpers before it was Close to what I ordered and they took forever. From the time I first ordered the rear bumper to the last one was about a year, I think that waiting a year for a bumper really isn't worth it.

5. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

In 1999 it took over 6weeks to recive mine. I do like it and it seams to work well. I did have to modify the mounting to get it to fit right and the winch mounting plate needed lower gussets added to prevent it from tweaking. I am also gonna add side support bars. I did not get the reciver option. Sounds like the customer service side is not good at all.
    Did SEC ever come back to life??
    Now that I can 'sortof' weld I am gonna make my own steel stuff from now on.....
    Good Luck

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i guess I'll speak up as a lone KMA supporter guy. Now don't get me wrong here, it DID take 6-7 weeks for me to get my bump.... that said, I have been very happy with it thus far. It was inexpensive, it works well, its just what I ordered, and I like its look. The only mod I plan on doing to it is adding some little diagonal end-of-bumper support bars. I dont consider not having them already as a design flaw on KMAs part... as the bump works fine without them... I just want mine to be bomb proof. (or at least bump into a large tree on the end proof! LOL)

anyway, KMA has worked for me. Using the phone to badger them every once in a while would prolly help with respect to getting it faster. Personally, I was in the middle of a school term and didnt even think about it until it arrived,

J

7. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Bought mine from MOO. Great service, done quickly, quality bigtime and did custom work. May be a little pricey for some, but I'm willing to pay for excellent quality and service. They are heavy too, but for my application, it's what I wanted and I don't think they are any heavier than SEC's. I don't think Fredd at SEC is up and running.

8. grumpy

grumpy 1/2 ton status

Who is MOO?

9. grumpy

grumpy 1/2 ton status

Missouri Offroad Outfitters?

10. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Yeah Kyle rides with my club. He was screwing up BIG time for a while and believe me I told him so.
    My understanding is he is no longer in charge. His Dad steped back in and has straightend things out. I understand that there is also a lady that handles the phones and record keeping now. Back then it was Just Kyle and he was WAY over his head trying feild phone calls, fabricate, ship, the works.
    The Key to getting what you want from them is detailed drawings faxed or e-mailed to him to refference. You tell him you want this modification he may forget. If you can go in there and sit and talk with him or hang out as he gets it started you will get a good product.

11. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

I'm also going to chime in as a support of KMA. I had a front bumber made by Kyle over 1.5 ago, and have had absolutely no issues with it, and let me tell you I have hammered the $hit out of it. I also had a rear carrier made with everything on it. And other than the fact that I forgot to lock it down, I have also hammered the $hit out of it. The one time I left it unlocked, I totally tacoed it, and brought it back to Kyle, and he told me to take it off and he would make a new one. I had to move because of my job, and accross country at that, and not only did he remake the bumper, he shipped it accross country at no cost to me.

I now live in Phoenix, AZ, and let me tell you I have dragged both his front and rear bumpers through hell, and I mean pure hell. and have had 0 issues with it.

The product that Kyle offers is very dependable and very wheeling worthy. Kyle tells you right up front that his lead times are 6 to 7 weeks, and sometimes longer.

That's my .02 cents.

robzilla

12. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Good to hear from ya Rob. Glad things are working out for you. I have talked to Kyle twice, once at Dixie, and once when I stopped by his shop. At Dixie, he would not even own up to being the owner/manager or whatever of KMA, he said he just worked there. I asked a few questions about one of his bumpers that was on the back of a RamCharger. He got all defensive and did not really want to answer my questions. I like your rear bumper, only problem I had with it was when you unlatched it it drooped about 4 to 5 inches. That is just not what I wanted.

To each his own. It may very well be what Grim said and that they are back under his fathers wing and making and selling good products again with good customer support. I have always been a do it yourself kind of person, though and from my previous experience with them and from others I have talked to as well as my diy attitiude they wont be getting any of my business.

Oh, ask Keith about the front bumper that he got from them. LOL

Depdog

13. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Well, I'll have to throw my nickle in here too. I got the iwncher front bumper. Love it "other" than it sticks out past the fenders by 4" on each side. And as for the rear, yes the swing out does drop when you have a heavy tire on it. But its just a temporary situation. So I dont see it as being a major issue. He took 3 weeks to get mine done. But my dad was able to swing by and pick them up for me.
    The only other thing that I was a little tweeked about was that he didn't make me aware that he made them with the provision that you have to cut/drill your owe holes in the bumper to mount it. I just happen to have a dad that runs a auto body shop. So he had all the gadgets to perform these unexpected circumstances.