Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

did blazers ever come w/ sunroofs?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by colbystephens, Nov 1, 2006.

1. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

my grandpa's 83 c20 has a moon/sun roof and when he gives it to me in the next year or so, i'd like to have someone put it in my rig (i'm not too good w/ body stuff). don't know if it would be best to just harvest most of the top of the cab and put it on mine... just thinking out loud.

2. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

I don't believe it was ever a factory option. I know it was a dealer option for a while in the late 80's.
    I put one in my '75 C10 I used to have. The deal with sunroofs is, noise and leakage. Leakage is harder to prevent than you think. The metal up there is very flexible and it's the cheap rubber gaskets on most aftermarket sunroofs don't seal very well. My '75 one I bought new and installed it, it lasted about 4 months before it started leaking, I ended up using siding caulk on it, didn't look pretty, but it didn't leak. Being a truck, you can't see the roof anyhow...
    Factory sunroof options go thru alot of hurdles to prevent leaks and wind noise. I know, I was a body engineer (weld guns and weld spot engineering) for cadillac for a while right out of college. The caddies have a entire different reinforced roof panels, rain gutter inside the inner/outer roof panels, with drain tube running thru the body down the sail panel to the ground in addition to many other enhancments. So, next time you wonder why the factory wants $1100 for the sunroof option, you know why.

3. colbystephens

well, i was thinking that whoever installed it would cut the roof off of the truck and weld it in place of my roof - that way there's not much of an issue w/ leakage. :)

4. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I seriously hope your kidding...

5. NYDIESELDAVE

NYDIESELDAVE 1/2 ton status

My first Jimmy had A/M one in it. The thing leaked so bad that it rotted the front part of the roof from the inside. I would advise against putting one in. Just my two cents ...

6. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

he's probably not.

7. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

I have a sunroof in my Blazer. When I bought it, it already had one in it. It leaked really bad, so I caulked it shut. That worked for about a year. I got fed up with it, so I bought another aftermarket sunroof (a lot nicer one too), cut the hole a little bigger, and installed it. Came out pretty nice and absolutely no leaks. Plenty of repair parts in the aftermarket too should I need them.

8. colbystephens

no, i wasn't. i've seen plenty of pics of people grafting pieces of blazer onto the back of suburbans to make them available to go topless, so i don't see what's so different from grafting a roof from one truck into mine - but then again, i know nothing about body work. i'm kind of starting to be swayed against it tho. maybe i'll be inclined to do the full convertable swap instead someday. :)

9. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I could install 10 sunroofs in the time it would take to swap a roof... At least.. Lot more work in a roof swap than your thinking...

Not to mention, that "unleaking sunroof" will end up leaking once installed from the process itself, of removing and reinstalling the roof...

A quality sunroof can be successfully done without leaking.... Windshield urethane is the product to be used.. But even the best install can't be gauranteed to not leak after some years...

All that being said, I'd never put one in my truck.. Too 80's too....

10. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

A whole roof swap would be pretty involved, just for a sunroof. I'd de-install it and re-install in your truck, much easier. There's a alot more than the outer sheet metal you see. THe rear has a heavy metal piece in it, GM calls it the 'roll bar', it helps in rollovers. The front a-pillars have a couple of reinforcing pieces of steel in there, it's hard to weld all that back together, without compromising the saftey of an on-road vehicle.

11. uberbeans

uberbeans 1/2 ton status

I don't know. I think if you had a modern color with lots of our types of modifications (body armor, tube bumpers, etc) it might look cool. Imagine a can back with a QUALITY sunroof in the front. I wonder about flex though. Might pop it out. I think it might be cool, especially if it was large. Roll up the can-back, down w/the windows, pop out the roof and go open air.

12. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

ive got a sunroof in mine, and havent had any problems

13. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

I know it's super 70's-80's but I've always liked T-tops and wanted to buy a half top blazer and fab some T-tops into it.

I think it'd be awesome and a bit safer than full convertable if you reinforced the remaining parts of the roof.

14. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

naaa..I wouldn't!..

I had a sunroof in my 72 K5---it leaked like a seive,and always dumped a nice puddle right in your crotch each time you took a hard left on rainy days,making it look like you pissed your pants!:mad: ..I soon tired of it,and the sun glaring down on my bald head was uncomfortable and very distracting..

It also made the full convertible roof a whole lot weaker!..you could watch the roof wave up and down as you drove along..I caulked it shut and used roof patch aluminum tape to seal it shut permanently after I tired of getting wet every day it rained...a friend removed the exact same sunroof from his C10 pickup,and bought a higher quality one--he gave it to me in case I decided to swap it in my truck(his had better seals,mine were all dry rotted)--but its still sitting in the box,and I've had it since 1986!...

I've been tempted to put it in a few of my other vehicles,like my van or 82 K20,but I dont think I will..I liked the solid steel retactable "moon roof" in my 86 VW Jetta better--it blocked the sun when closed,and didn't leak a drop,at least not on my crotch,or inside the car!...:crazy: