Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Did Blazers ever come with.....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MICHIGAN BLAZER, Jul 10, 2000.

1. MICHIGAN BLAZER

MICHIGAN BLAZER 1/2 ton status

Dual exhaust from the factory. I'm replacing my exhaust pretty soon here and am NOT real happy w/prices muffler shops have been giving me . I actually really only need donuts & new studs installed....but every shop I talk to just cringes at the mention of blown donuts....and I'm not paying the outragious amounts I've been quoted to put on donuts, studs, a muffler & tailpipe. I decided I'm putting my own exhaust on w/the exception of the donuts. I've decided that I really don't want that crappy Y-pipe hanging down by my t-case anymore....but can't find any "kits" for dual exhaust. I'm surprised by that because my hubby had an 84 Jimmy that had brand new dual exhaust on it when he bought it. It was the kind that dumps out on both sides behind the rear tires....it looked like a "kit". It didn't look fabricated....and I really liked the looks of that. I don't want it to dump straight out back under the bumper, I want it out the sides. I'm getting extremely frustrated, I've been trying to get this done for 1 1/2 weeks now. I'm getting REAL tired of muffler shop guy mumbo jumbo & appointments that you make that shops don't keep so you have to come back 2 hours later for them to even look @ your truck so they can tell you something you already know & could have told them in the begining....but they can't do that!!! AAARRRHHHGGgg!!!

okay, I'm relaxed now....any info anyone would care to share with me about their dual exhaust including price if you don't mind would be greatly appreciated..thank you.

<font color=red>MICHIGAN BLAZER
    <font color=green>89 Fullsize Blazer
    87 Cherokee
    65 IH Scout

2. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

Try summit for kits that bolt on from the exhaust manifold back. I would do headers back myself though. What are your emissions laws like??? I'm in new york and they're passing laws like California here. So be careful, you might fail inspection. Doughnuts aren't that hard to put on(just painstaking). Try Jegs also....even JC Whitney. Good luck. JS

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

MB, it's ok breath deep, now let it out......smooth....
    LOL hope that helped!![​IMG]
    I think you have had bad shop luck!!
    I had my pipes and mufflers mounted and hung from my headers back for 100 bucks. I did by the Flowmasters seporate but the muffler shop hung,bent the pipe and welded were necisarry for again 100 bucks.
    I would change the way you asking, tell them you allready have the mufflers, like Flomasters, and you just whant them welded and hung and see what they say.
    Keep trying and for the kits try http://www.summitracing.com or something simmilar
    good luck

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin
    http://burt4x4.coloradok5.com

4. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Michigan,
    I got the exact setup you're looking for. Dual exhaust out the sides behind the rear tires. JCW sells them as a kit (mine were custom bent by the way) but JCW sells the Custom dual Exhaust Systems for $124.95. I don't think that includes the mufflers though. And then there is the Dual Exhaust conversion System for $114.95. Not really sure of the difference between them.
    Boss

5. MICHIGAN BLAZER

MICHIGAN BLAZER 1/2 ton status

Okay, apparently I must speak chinese over the telephone or something. I stopped at a parts store on the way home from work and was able to coax the guy behind the counter to pull his head out of his @$$ long enough for me to talk exhaust with him. He knew exactly what I wanted, he just said a standard dual kit, no cats....$200. I guess I'll have to stop in a talk to a couple of other guys to see if I can get a better price. I'm not affraid to do exhaust....I just hate it. No problem putting donuts in...it's just getting existing studs out that's going to be the problem. I don't have a torch, and the buddy that does is currently out 'o' gas. As far as the "bad" muffler shops....they don't even want to listen to me. I can tell them exactly what my truck needs and what condition everything is currently in, all they have to say is....."the earliest we can get you in for an inspection is 1/2hr (which actually means 2hrs)" All I need is a dumb price....it just bugs me. I feel better now.....really. thanx a bunch guys!

<font color=red>MICHIGAN BLAZER
    <font color=green>89 Fullsize Blazer
    87 Cherokee
    65 IH Scout

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I talked the guy at the local muffler shop into putting duals on mine. Everything from the manifolds back with aluminized and 2 2chamber flowmasters 2.5 inch for $200 installed. He did an exhaust on my other car for $150 from the cat back including a muffler. There has got to be a shop in Michagan you can find thats reasonable. Hell with the salt up there muffler shops are as plentiful as donut shops. Just catch the guy when he's drunk and get a quote in writing and I bet you can get it for near free if you bring the beer. Michigan state passtime is drinking after all LOL can you tell I'm from there?

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

7. Jeff427

Jeff427 1/2 ton status

I don't know where in Michigan you are located, but there's a shop in Sanford, near Midland, I think the name of it is Tom's, that does reasonably priced exhaust work. I'm not sure if there is more to the name than Tom's, that is all I've ever heard it called. I'll try and find out more if your interested.

Jeff427
    <font color=red>Mud Dog Off Road Club</font color=red>
    http://muddogoffroad.coloradok5.com

8. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

Duals out the back here in NC usually run 110 to $120. Flowmasters are good. Go for 2.5 inch with balance pipe. It would be worth a trip to find the right shop. They'll put the bal pipe in the correct place. It matters.
    BTW, the only thing I personally have against duals is the
    heat added to the floor from the #2 muffler. I never rev over 4000 so the OEM GM exhaust (aluminized, bolt-in, $110) is something I like. Just my $.02.

SteveB

9. Eric78K5

Eric78K5 1/2 ton status

My 78 had dual exhaust when I bought it....I guess it came that way cause everything else on it is stock too. I need to replace most of mine due to rust and dents and such, and will be using a shop near me in South Carolina. The guy there quoted me $200 for duals w/flowmaster 3 chambers and exiting out behind the rear tires just like stock. This guy has done the exaust on my Dad's little S-10 pickup, and he did good work. So I guess the price is about right.