Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Did Britain turn her back on God, duty and country?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MuddinManny, Apr 4, 2007.

1. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

Hey Y'all,

First off, I am very happy that the 15 British soldiers have been released and that peace and harmony can return to them and their families. Saying that, I'm absolutely disgusted at the turn of events surrounding the release of the 15 British soldiers. What appears to be an illegal act by the Iranian government has turned into a face saving "good will gesture" of pardon and forgiveness. I have great respect for the British people for what they did standing up to Hitler and the Nazis and really being the juggernaut for saving the free world, but how in the world could they just let this go by? I'm sure that details will come out about the "deal" later, but I'm sad to see, if a "deal" is the case, that Britain hasn't learned her lesson. The last time she made deals with a political leader, London and all her major cities were almost all destroyed and her island starved to death because of u-boats.

Where is Iran's accountability for such action?

I can't say what I really want to, but believe me, I think y'all know where I'm going with it.

Manny

Last edited: Apr 4, 2007
  2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Well, I wonder if, once the sailors are returned, the Brits don't lean on the Iranians a bit harder ... this kind of belligerent nonsense is dumb enough I'd expect the North Koreans to be pulling it ... and I am quite sure they'll pay for their insolence and silliness.

While I'm sure they think it's a great publicity stunt, I think the Western world will get that it further cements the current Iranian regime's unwillingness to co-operate on a world level.

And once the sailors are returned, I think the Brits should nuke the country. Would solve the nuclear power issue =))

-- A

3. smalltruckbigcid

smalltruckbigcid 1/2 ton status

And once the sailors are returned, I think the Brits should nuke the country. Would solve the nuclear power issue =))

-- A[/quote]

While I agree with this on some level I don't think the world needs a new swimming hole the shape of Iran....but it could be cool with enough babe filled thongs scattered around;)
    George

4. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

Yep, this is 1935 all over again :mad: !

History is aboot to repeat itself.

Interesting point Manny.

5. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

You should study more history and more about the workings of government............................

6. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I think the British Navy was coached by France on this one.
    What a disgrace, but at the least, the guys are home.

7. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I expect there will be alot more to this story in the next week or so.

8. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Some how I ended up deleting that when I was doing my spell check:doah::crazy:

9. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I think we should give Iran a nice warm welcome to the nuclear club. A 25 megaton detonation over Tehran would make a nice welcome gesture. And accomplish a lot more results than limp wristed a hand shake with old whoferhafin whatisface.

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

did anyone else notice that major media people (NBC, ABC, CBS, CNN etc anchors) never ever refered to these 15 guys as HOSTAGES? Seriously, I watched probably 50 news broadcasts that mentioned this story, and not a single one of them used the, apparently taboo, "H" word. Why do you guys think that is?

The President of Iran is a bonafide mad man and seriously needs his ass kicked. There is NO question in the intelligence community (both American and foriegn ones) that Iran is the #1 supporter of international terrorism. The clerics over there simply must die. Just like Nazis, you can't negotiate with them... all you can do is kill them and move on. Why we aren't formenting revolution over there I have no idea. Arm the younger generation that doesn't believe in the clerics bull****, hammer the iranian military and establish no fly zones and the Iranians would take care of these scum on their own... no nukes required.

If we could pull that off, we'd change the course of the middle east forever.

j

11. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

We haven't heard nor probably will hear the full truth on this. It seems the they were only a mile outside Iranian waters, later proven by satalite positioning (alegedly) so this is why I believe the crew 'admited' being in their waters, as they were probebly given 'evedence' that they were. Being so close they may have thought they got it wrong.
    As for a government deal....I don't think so. Blair said openly that they would try all diplomatic courses but would not tolerate anysh8t from them. I 'think' the Iranians realized they'd f8cked up and wanted a way out. But you know what those fanatics are like. no way would they say "oops, sorry guys, we goofed", so I kind of think Blair 'let them' have a face saving way out.
    As for an armed offensive against them? Do you honestly think ANY government would commit thousands of troops or even one nuke for 15 service personel who job description asks them to give their lives for their Queen and country?
    And any service personel here, if you were in their shoes (the 15) would you want tens or hundreds of your countrymen or allies to die to effect your release? I doubt it.
    Iran was stupid and will eventually pay. But as they say, 'revenge is a dish best served cold'!
    And also consider this, if Britain had sent in the SAS which would've probebly been the only sensible alternative, and it had all gone wrong, what then? (ring any bells?)
    Also, if the **** had hit the fan I'm pretty sure Bush would've felt obliged to send in some support. I think as the only 2 major world players in world 'peace keeping' Britain and America are already stretched pretty thin with Afgahnistan and Iraq without kicking off in Iran too.
    This hasn't been a 'rant', just saying how I see it from over here.

12. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i see what you are saying about commiting lots of guys to save 15... but its safe to say that the grunts would certainly be willing to do it. Leave no man behind, let alone 15. If you are willing to sacrifice 15... how about 20? 50? 100? At what number does it become intolerable... or conversely, what number of your citizens will you tolerate being obducted by foreign governments before you are willing to take real action?

The Iranian government has been getting off the hook for their terrorist BS ever since 1979. Its time for them to pay. Being stretched thin isn't a problem... we don't need to invade or occupy anyone in order to hurt them dearly. There are plenty of steps you could take to convince the Iranian government to "play ball". Start with these...

1) use the navy to confiscate all oil coming out of Iran.
    2) use the navy to stop everything except food from going in to Iran.
    3) bomb/cruise missile purely military targets and/or economic infrastructure.

The navy doesn't have a whoooole lot to do in Afghanistan or Iraq... so they would be the perfect tool to use against them persian sons a bitches.

You can escalate from there if necessary... and you don't need a single pair of boots to be "on the ground".

j

13. southernspeed

Leave no man behind. I agree but politicians aren't grunts. Not one of our elected government has ever seen military service which sickens me.
    Unfortunately, hit them hard and they send car bombers and suicide bombers for years to come. Without wiping out an entire race, culture, religion these dirtbags won't stop coming back.
    Simple answer is , there is no simple answer. There's some very effective short term fixes as you've pointed out, and I agree. But then I always thought we could go into Iraq and kick ass, get out and that would be that but the Iraq people are all as bad as eachother when it comes to being civilised!
    I don't know what went on with the fifteen, we'll prob never know for sure and I'm sure not going to defend any corners on here because I know too little about it.
    In an ideal world...bomb the bastards and let their god sort them out.

14. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I would like to know exatly how you "Britian should have kicked theis ass" guys suggest that they actually were going to pull that one off?
    Nukes? Grow up, no one is going to use them unless absolutely forced.

Military options? Get real - anyone noticed that little quagmire called Iraq? No one wants to get into another mess like that one, even if they could, because their is no good way out.

A diplomatic deal that gets them back without shot and by letting the jerkoff pres of iran save face - who cares, they are back and safe with no expense at all. Sometimes its best to just hold your nose and get your guys back.

15. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

I've studied more military and governmental history than most people. Not saying I'm a know it all. I'm certainly not, but what I do know is that history here again has repeated itself.

What is it that you feel I should study more of?

16. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Well said.

17. southernspeed

I know I'm bad at history but what happened in '35?

18. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Basically nothing. For the most part it was a year of diplomatic cat and mouse between Germany and the rest of the European country's. Hitler pretty much had his guy's running around making treaties and promises to all the other country's while he built his war machine. Nothing happened until Sep. 1 1939 when He invaded Poland which broke all the treaties He had signed with Britain and France...............

Last edited: Apr 5, 2007
  19. southernspeed

Oh ok, I knew it all kicked off in '39 obviously but didn't know when all the trouble was brewing from. Apart from stuff agreed after ww1 of course.
    Somehow though I still can't liken Iran etc to the Third Reich.

20. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Opps my bad 1939........Sorry