Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

did chevy make an outside tire carrier?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mrkay, May 2, 2000.

1. mrkay

mrkay Registered Member

I have an 88 Blazer and am trying to hunt down a swing-away type tire carrier. I had a F#rd (can I mention it here? )product at one time and liked the carrier on it. Did Chevy ever make a carrier like that? Can you buy a OEM
    carier (or something better) anywhere? Someone once mentioned JC Whitney but I can never find it in the catalog.

2. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Yes they made one, it attached just like your Ford one. You can find them at JC Whitneys, or probably all the Chevy parts catalogs. They were prone to cracking the body because of the tire weight.

Depdog

<font color=blue>"Lead, Follow, or BECOME the Trail"</font color=blue>

3. fredd

fredd 1/2 ton status

I have them available in a few weeks.
    The pictures will be by Steve in a couple of days so he can put them on the ColoradoK5 pages.
    I explain a bit more.
    This carrier is similar as the one I designed for the heavy duty rear bumper, except that it mounts on the chassis, so not on the body.
    The hinge part is located between the bumper and the body right under the right tail light, and the locking mechnisme is located between the bumper and the center of the two tailgate hinges.
    Tires up to 36" fit on this carrier.
    Optional, antenna mount, jack mount, jerry can mount.

fredd

4. mrkay

mrkay Registered Member

Depdog...I think I'll pass on the one that may crack the body. Thanks for the info and advise.

Fredd...Do you manufacture these? I really like the bumper/carrier combo on the Urban assault vehicle, but want to keep my chrome bumper. It sounds like you have the perfect item. Any $$$ figures as yet?

MrKay

5. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

I'm 90% sure that the one on my Blazer is the original one. It did crack the body once, but I had that fixed by installing some large metal plates inside the body. Now it's been perfect for over 7 years.

You can see mine at my website: http://www.freeyellow.com/members7/blazer79

<font color=black>//////
    What the heck!...Drive it like gas is $0.50/gal!!!
    </font color=black>[​IMG]

6. K5Junkie

K5Junkie 1/2 ton status

Fredd, I am very interested in seeing your tire carrier. I was trying to figure a way i can build one without removing my stock bumper and not mount it to the body. I can't wait to see it. By the way are you making these or are you gonna post the blueprints of how to make it.

7. SVBlazer

SVBlazer 1/2 ton status

I had the external tire carrier and it did crack the tailgate caring a 31. I repaired the crack with multiple layers of sheet metal and rivets. The repair lasted about a year and cracked through the rivet holes. Changed strategy. Had a local shop fab up an external roof mounted carrier using 1" sq tubing and expanded sheet metal. The carrier has had a 33 on it for 2+ years with no problems. Now the carrier has a 2.5 gal gas can, High lift, and a couple of bike rails attached to it. Plan on adding back up lights and other off road tools in the near future.

Those factory external racks are good for the starter tires only.

Hope this helps...