Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

did everyone see the ORD post

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by SCOOBYDANNN, Sep 20, 2001.

1. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

it is now (always somewhat was) possible to mout the ORD doubler to the 32 spline 465. i can start savin now.

You know who I am

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Do you know if there is a way to tell wich 465 you have? I have one that was OE for 1972 K5, anyway to tell wich spline count it is?

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/baja/5099>www.geocities.com/baja/5099</a>

3. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

if it's a 72 most likely it's a 10spline
    the 32spline 465 came out durring 85-91 in 1 ton trucks.
    check out their tech doc on the np205

http://coloradok5.com/gallery/ArqDennis

4. mudddog91

mudddog91 1/2 ton status

Ok give me the low down on exactly what has to happen to put a doubler on my 465/205.Last I heard they woudnt make a kit for it because the input was too weak and they werent sure if they would hold up so whats changed?Ive got a 203 off of a th 350 so hook me up!what do i need?

5. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Muddog -
    They are NOT making a 10-spline Gen 2 Doubler. That is what you'd need. The input shaft is too weak and they probably don't want people bitching if they start toasting input shafts. Bad PR.
    What you need is a Gen 1 Doubler, the older and longer style. They DO come in 10-spline, which is exactly what you need.
    I know Squash was selling one for not too much. I don;t know what happened to it. I made him an offer on it (I have a 465-205) but he never emailed me back.
    So basically, find it used.
    -- Mike

<font color=blue> At some point I'll be done building my truck and can actually go wheeling. Until then, I guess sex and alcohol will have to do. [​IMG]

6. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

you need
    1- a 203 from a 465 (thank you U2SLO for the one you sold me)
    2- if you want to use ORDs kit you need to change the input shaft of your 205 to a 32spline female from a turbo400/205, which requires boring the bearing hole in your 205 case to fit a larger front bearing
    3- buy the kit and new driveshafts

if you want to 'build your own' you can have moser put whatever spline count you wish on the 203shaft,
    27spline T350 for instance, and do it similar to the GENII with no couplers
    or
    10spline to match your 465version205 and use couplers like the GENI

this has been gone over many times and ORD's site spells it out.
    all you need to do is find a 203 that fits your tranny

7. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

actually he decided to hold out for $$$$ and turn it into bidding against unknown persons, i also expressed interest until the price began to sky rocket.

8. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

For the record, 32 spline 465's were also in K5's in late 80's and early 90's until 5 speed came out, at least my 87 K5 had the 32 spline 465.

87 K5, D60, 14FF, NV4500 & NP208
    Build it Bulletproof and take it fishing!

9. mudddog91

mudddog91 1/2 ton status

so what you are saying is that moser will take my stock 203 shaft and spline it and cut it down to fit what ever input I want?Im still a bit confused.ORD doesnt make the GEN1 adapters anymore?were they too weak?so I need to get a 32 spline input for the 465 from a 80-90 model and it will swap into mine?come on man im an airplane mechanic so you have to explain stuff slowly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

okay real slow now.
    the 32 spline part that is a GenII has nothing to do with the transmission. just like always YOU are responsible for mating YOUR transmission to a 203 range box. this is no different than the days of the GenI. the 32 spline stuff comes in to play between the 203 range box and the 205 transcase. this is the genI genII difference. ORD has the 203 rangebox output shaft cut down and splined to 32 splines to mate ONLY with a 205 that origonally came behind a Turbo400 automatic. the T400 version of the 205 has a unique input gear that is 32spline female. ORD's custom 203 rangebox output shaft plugs directly into this gear with no couplers.

the GenI for us 4 speed guys was a 203 rangebox output shaft cut down and splined for the 10 spline coupler that is factory between the 465 and the 205. this made the assembly much longer than the GenII way of doing things as well as weaker, as the 10 spline is apparently not up to bulletproof status.

so if you have a sm465 transmission and want a doubler you must still find a np203 that came behind a sm465. this is still the only difficult part. i think you are getting hung up on all the discussion on here about finding creative ways to get a 203 to bolt up to the 465 because of the rarity of the 10spline 203 that was only made for about a year. as the ORD guys are auto tranny types they dont seem to give a rats behind about our plight and brush it off with a 'the parts are out there' which isnt to far from the X files slogan.

now i hope that cleared some of it up for you.