Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Did GM ever mate a SM465 tranny behind a 400?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Mudzer, Oct 24, 2000.

1. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I need to find a flywheel for my 400 to convert to 4 speed. Does anyone know where I can get one used or new? I am looking into installing a SM465 and NP205 combo. Give me more details on this swap if anyone has done it in a K5. What will I need? I figure clutch pedal and brake pedal, linkage, shifter, shifter boot, crossmember, ect...

Thanks,

Neil

Mudzer 1978/91 K5
    <font color=blue>www.mudzer.coloradoK5.com</font color=blue>

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I don't know about the flywheel, but if I were you I would try and find a hydraulic clutch set-up from a newer Chev truck or K5. You'll need the whole bellhousing because it is different than the older linkage style. I have the linkage set-up and it makes for a pretty heavy clutch. I've also driven a newer K5 with the hydraulic clutch and it was very easy on the leg.
    I've heard the pedals are a pain to swap but don't know for sure because mine was a 4 gear from the factory.

Rene

[​IMG]

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I have seen a 400 with SM465/205 combo in a 72K5. I know that it also wasent stock so there is a way to make it happen. As for the cluch I would recomend CenterForceII.
    This cluch kit is WAY soft compared to the stock three fork style. The hydrolic is nice but too many extra parts that can fail, my opinion anyway never had one!
    Good luck

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com

4. Jegs High Performance has Hays flywheels for 4oo sb.
    Part #409-10-132 $229.99
    On the pedals depends on if you want a hydrolic or mech clutch.
    Good Luck

IF IT AINT BIG IT AINT BAD!!!!!!

5. Jeff427

Jeff427 1/2 ton status

6. Brady

Brady 1/2 ton status

As for swapping from auto to stick you need all the stock linkage and the pedal assembly from under the dash.I swapped my '73 with parts from a '77 sub.I used everything from the sub pedal assemble steering column linkage.I had to splice all the wires on the column to make it work since the plug was different.There is also one wire you need to splice together so it will start I think it was a purple wire that went to the nuetral safety switch on the auto.Just get all the parts.The hole in the floor for the linkage is even there just remove the little plate.Brady

'73Beautiful Disaster