Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

did gm ever offer tilt wheel with a manual trans colum in trucks or blazers

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by crazykev4x4, Mar 28, 2004.

1. crazykev4x4

crazykev4x4 1/2 ton status

just like the title says /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Kevin

2. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

yup, I know my 87 did. I just traded it away!! I had an 84 that did and a 79 also.

3. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Yes, and you can also use a column from a many GM cars with a console. Camaro, Firebird/TA, some Buicks and Grand Prix, etc... Only thing is the plug for the ignition switch will be on the wrong side, but you can just work the plug over and it works fine. You can even use the later square housing columns but you have to hack away the column sheath where it goes through the dash.

4. crazykev4x4

crazykev4x4 1/2 ton status

are columns from a 84 truck and 77 the same ?

Kevin

5. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

84 no, the wipers and dimmer switch is on the column starting in 84. 73-78 79-83 84-91 are the year differences.
    73-78 has a splined end where the steering shaft bolts on
    79-83 has a flat sided shaft where the steering shaft bolt on
    84-91 has the wipers and dimmer switch onto the column.

6. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Nice break down. But the splined/slab side should make no diff if you get it from the rag joint up. And the wiper/dimmer would be an issue putting old in new, but new in old you should be able to just ignore them. At least that's what my head is telling me.

7. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Re: did gm ever offer tilt wheel with a manual trans colum in trucks or bla

I bought a rebuilt manual trans/tilt column off ebay about a year ago. There's a guy that sell's em for $100. It was an '84, my truck is a 73, but since I'm in a frame off resto with a fiberglass body, this is the least of my worries, I'm almost ready to put it in, I ditched the floor dimmer, and will use a dash bezel off a newer truck so I won't have the wiper switch hole, and I will use the column dimm and wiper. In order to use the wipers, you need the little box that goes with it, which my column came with.

8. Ben

Ben Registered Member

Re: message for 73k5blazer

First question, do you have the address of the guy you bought your tilt steering column from? I'm in the market for one for my 84. Also, delayed wipers. I installed a new t-signal arm with the delayed wipers and cruise control function. Originally my truck had no delayed wipers/cruise. I still am missing some parts to make the delayed wipers work. You mention the "box." You have a part number off the "box?" Any other parts I need to order or know about in order to make my delayed wipers work? Wiper motor change?
    Thanks!

9. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I take it you splice in the wires for the dimmer and wiper motor? I have been wanting to do this for some time now. Any info on this you could pass on would be greatly appreciated /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

10. vegas76k5

vegas76k5 Registered Member

I have been wanting to do this too. Please fill us in on the details on the wipers. Did you have to swap the wiper motor, or just put that box in? I have very little knowledge about anything electrical. This has stopped me from trying to hook a newer switch to my 2 speed motor/pump.